New project

Made some progress today think it's pretty much mocked up, did some cutting and grinding seems to be good so far. Have a little more prep work to do on hood but I don't think I'm going to cut the hood to make it semi functional (that scares me) but it's almost ready to bond and screw on after the primer dries on the bottom side. I figured I better scuff it and prime it because I'm not going to be able to get paint all the way to the front.

20211120_124216.jpg

20211120_124248.jpg

20211120_144827.jpg

• Like 3

I probably wouldn't cut the braces either, that's a lonngggg hood. There's usually some type of adhesive under those ribs. That'll help stop the outer skin from 'oil canning'.

Dennis, do you have a picture of the underside of the Chevelle cowl hood handy?

55 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I probably wouldn't cut the braces either, that's a lonngggg hood. There's usually some type of adhesive under those ribs. That'll help stop the outer skin from 'oil canning'.

Yes Joe I'm going to use silicone between the skin and braces. I saw another car with that brace cut out and the guy said he never had a problem,  that was a first gen camaro and it's just the short one to the rear, it dosen't seem to me like that would cause a problem, but I've been wrong before 😅 and probably will be again!

6 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yes Joe I'm going to use silicone between the skin and braces. I saw another car with that brace cut out and the guy said he never had a problem,  that was a first gen camaro and it's just the short one to the rear, it dosen't seem to me like that would cause a problem, but I've been wrong before 😅 and probably will be again!

The new cowl may stiffen it up a little too. They make structural adhesives that may work better than silicone, may want to look into that instead. Otherwise, looks good!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

I didn’t but I do now. Lol. It’s a different design though. 

4C4C1615-4326-4FAE-8D0B-D996C1168BC6.jpeg

C74A4199-6EDB-4A14-B00C-C461772A8434.jpeg

Thanks D.

I figured the bracing would be centered around the air cleaner opening, but still provide enough structural support everywhere else.

• Like 1

Well back at it today, I got the bottom side primed and painted and the hole cut. I didn't cut the bracing,  got it completely mocked up now I just have to bond hood to bracing and bond the scoop in place. Of course while I was down. There working I tripped and took a tumble didn't hear any cracks but I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow.  I'm supposed to go to Albany (well actually Saratoga) tomorrow but the way the weather looks I may not. Now time for some pumpkin pie. 

20211126_183703.jpg

20211126_184642.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hood and the scoop are now one piece, got it all bonded on and let it set for twice the normal time. It don't seem to be going anywhere ( I hope) got a layer of reinforced filler on it but ran out so got to pick up more tomorrow then the body work begins. I hate that part, because I'm not that good at it so it takes me twice as long to do it.  

20211206_173404.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...