experts needed! im at a loss

mymontesa70

So a while back i rebuilt my old 350 with a nice flat tappet cam, vortec heads, lifters, pushrods, ls6 springs and a new hei distributor. i reused my old edelbrock 1901 which is a remake of a 750 quadrajet that edelbrock doesnt even make anymore but has always worked excellent.

i finally found the time to button everything up and try to start it for the all important break in period that a flat tappet needs. at first i had the dizzy 180 off, then when it did fire up the valve lash was too loose and not to my liking so i re-adjusted. When i re-adjusted it was too tight so it had a hard time firing. A bit more tinkering and finally i had it set perfect and got it fired up and broke in. 

current dilemma. motor runs and revs great in park but when i go to drive it i get stutters and it acts like its fuel starved.  runs like a turd

timing is solid, plugs, wires and distributor are all new. manifold vacuum looks good. 

heres what i figure and where i need your expertise.

1. wiped a cam lobe and its basically a boat anchor

2. losing vacuum before the modulator or its the modulator itself

3 maybe the carb is not up to snuff after being curbed for a year and a half.

thanks in advance guys, sometimes i just need an outside perspective, i appreciate all your help.

I'd be looking at the carb. With no load it's probably okay going from idle circuit to flowing fuel, but when you have load it might need more fuel in the transition from idle. Accelerator pump function and adjustment would be a place to start. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for advice everyone. I should've added that I pulled the valve covers and let it run and everything was moving and doing its job. I even pulled the intake to make sure I got a good a seal on the China walls. 

It really seems like a fuel issue. 

Mechanical fuel pump should be pushing enough right? 

What's my next step? Buy a fuel pressure gauge or rebuild the carb? 

Honestly I'm wondering if I shouldn't try a brawler or something on there. Don't know much about rebuilding these eddy

38 minutes ago, mymontesa70 said:

Thanks for advice everyone. I should've added that I pulled the valve covers and let it run and everything was moving and doing its job. I even pulled the intake to make sure I got a good a seal on the China walls. 

It really seems like a fuel issue. 

Mechanical fuel pump should be pushing enough right? 

What's my next step? Buy a fuel pressure gauge or rebuild the carb? 

Honestly I'm wondering if I shouldn't try a brawler or something on there. Don't know much about rebuilding these eddy

Even though everything is moving you could still have wiped a lobe. It’s just not completely wiped. But I think a bad lobe you would have a misfire situation 

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put it into a container. Have someone crank the car, no ignition and see how much fuel the pump is pushing out. 

I personally don't care for the Eddy carb. Put a Holly in it IF the fuel pump is pumping enough fuel. 

• 2 weeks later...