Who has changed a their heater core?

Brew

Canuck(Aaron) just did one he may chime in. His was non a/c car. Get ready for a project though. It’s not hard but a lot to do. I have not done one on a Monte. I’m sure you’re answer will come. 

I’ve done 3 over the years but only on Montes without AC. My advice is to be prepared for a time consuming job and take your time. I think I used the 1970 Service Manual for assistance when I did it the first time but can’t recall (that was 20 years ago). Also get a good quality heater core as you don’t want to do this job again in the near future. I changed my heater fan motor at the same time since I had the inner fender out. Pulling out the inner fender is not required but you would need to remove some of the inner fender bolts to access the fan motor.

3951F99D-A96E-422F-809B-D90AC579568B.jpeg

628881E8-962C-4F59-9E70-1145C107966B.jpeg

BFC5A78D-3DB8-4A49-A9B5-07C0BDF8136E.jpeg

Real deal classic chevy mechanic tells me I don’t need to remove dash. 
I changed blower motor too. 

I currently have car apart for painting & was told to change it while it was apart. 
the videos I have watched vary on dash out or not. 

3EAB9A82-5DAA-4E88-B3A1-5F12A8869302.jpeg

Looks like an A/C car. I had to change one in my 2nd '72 Custom in a parking lot at an Air Force base in Denver years ago. Wasn't fun. The HVAC box was tough to get all the bolts out, same with the blower motor etc. The HVAC box under the dash had to come out, it was just a treasure hunt to get all the fasteners  that held it in. No service manual, etc. 

When I had this last '72 apart, it was much easier to see where everything was located and why it fought me years ago. Since you have the fender & wheelhouse off, that's most of the fight right there. The rest of it should come out pretty easy, without removing the dash. Just remember to disconnect the cables for the air doors, etc. May be a good time to put a new firewall insulation pad in there at this time too, if it needs one.

I replaced the heater core in my '70 SS with factory A/C in conjunction with a larger project that was anything but fun or easy. The heater core was actually not leaking but I replaced it preemptively while I had the rest of the system removed for cleaning. 

The first winter I stored the car in my garage in MN, I placed it up on six jackstands and foolishly thought that would protect it from invasion by mice - not!  In just one winter season, they built nests all over in that car, including above the headliner, in the trunk, under the rear seat, inside the condenser box and inside the heater fan.  The heater fan housing was so packed with mouse nests that I blew a fuse when I flipped on the AC because the fan was locked up.

I did loosen the dash and pull it forward as I also converted the dash lights in the instrument cluster to LEDs, but removing the heater box was still a challenge because of all the vacuum hoses and cables associated with the A/C system.  I would encourage you to take lots of pictures as you methodically remove parts of the system, especially the cables and hoses and their routing and retainers. 

I also removed the steel inner fender on the passenger side and completely stripped and refinished it with POR-15 on the underside and Rustoleum Semi-gloss black on the topside during this project.  Looks like your inner fenders are already removed.

Before re-installing the heater box and dash, I ripped off all of the frayed factory insulation against the back of the firewall and replaced it with foil-backed thermal insulation.  I also lined the inside of the kick panels with that insulation before reassembly.

While your car is apart is definitely the best time to do this project.  Good luck!

P9136342.JPG

P9186351.JPG

I did my 71 NON A/C Monte years ago and it snowballed into so many other things! Good Times!

Update

i have removed heater core. With dash in the car I got it out. Like many said in this thread it was a time consuming job. Just have to be patient & find all the connections, nuts etc.

my core looks pretty good. I took it to a radiator place I trust to test it & see if it is good. If anyone knows where to get an OEM heater core new I’d like to know about it.

these aluminum ones worry me, a lot.

anyway, thanks for all the help.

now I wait to try & put it back in!

Another update:

The Parts Place has brass/copper heater cores as of 7/21

I picked up the one for my 71 from The Parts Place. It was brass and it fit it the box nice and tight. They also sell a seal kit if you want it. But as Joe stated in another thread it does the job but no information on what piece goes where. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I picked up the one for my 71 from The Parts Place. It was brass and it fit it the box nice and tight. They also sell a seal kit if you want it. But as Joe stated in another thread it does the job but no information on what piece goes where. 

Thanks

Now's a good time to make sure all the actuators and doors operate correctly, seal good & have full travel.

The seal kit I think I got it from Summit, don't remember.  Seems everyone sells one, Soffseal, RePops, Restoparts, ebay, etc, but they are all probably the same. Find one with a good price and go from there if you need it.

Here's a picture of it:

https://www.classicmuscle.com/p-1968-1972-seal-kit-ch174