air filter smells like gas

rsorg

sorry about that 454 original air cleaner , wide mouth snorkel ,how hard would it be to replace the charcoal in the canister , that helps with venting ,or do i have other issues ,never has done that before ,thanks roger

Sometimes there is pressure coming back up out of the carb which sprays the fuel upward. Is the bottom of the lid sticky?

thank you for the reply i have not checked the underside of the lid ,if it is sticky what do you think the cause could be, i have everything hook up like factory and most is original ,i would like to look into my canister that would hold the charcoal i know that, that has never been looked into  ,i do notice that the engine has to turn over more times to have the car start , while i pump  the gas peddle 2/3 times ,thank you roger

Mine is better after carb rebuild but still sprays fuel up when I open the secondaries which is due to issues with the engine valves at higher rpm. It is a common issue.