Need a bit of help with this plug

sredmyer

I need to know where the plug in the attached should be plugged in.  The picture is looking into the dash (dash pad removed) right in the center.  I found the plug just to the drivers side of the center AC vent.  The plug is a single cavity/connector but it has two wires, a black wire with a purple stripe and a tan wire. 

Any help to know where this should go would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6352.jpg

Man I remember dealing with that. But it’s been a few years. I know someone will have the answer. If not I’ll look tomorrow & let you know.  I’ve got dash pad off but I’m not where car is today. 

I’ll post some factory assembly manual pages 

30F1B1F4-F57D-4880-A1B9-EF9D1BBF0EF3.jpeg

3ADB2FF5-FA2D-4A9B-8928-2E4D6789E618.jpeg

@Brew - Thanks for the diagrams.  Unfortunately, I don't see anything in them that helps to identify this plug 😕

@1970mcss - I should have mentioned this is a 1970 Monte.  I believe the brake alarm was just on the 1972 wasn't it?

Looks like the one! I've been trying to look at the schematics and all the pics from my car, but that's the one wire I didn't take a photo of, lol.

The brown is the fused feed to the 'Master Switch' . Not sure what the black/pink stripe feeds.

20210708_150552.jpg

hmm, I have that same plug but on mine a tan (it actually looks more brown, like the color of the wire on the other side of the plug) wire plugs into it.   

That lines up with the diagram @jft69z posted.  So I think we still do not know where the plug I posted originally goes.  

While digging in the dash to figure this out, I found another plug (see the second and third picture) which doesn't go anywhere...so now I have two plugs I need to find homes for 😕

IMG_6356.jpg

IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6359.jpg

That second plug you show is not used if you have an A/C car. It's for the blower motor resistor of a non-AC car, which is located inside the car on the heater housing, under the dash. On the A/C car, the blower resistor is in the engine compartment. 

I'm going to have to go up in the attic to look at the old wiring harness out of my car. It's a '72 though, so no guarantee if it's the same.

4 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That second plug you show is not used if you have an A/C car. It's for the blower motor resistor of a non-AC car, which is located inside the car on the heater housing, under the dash. On the A/C car, the blower resistor is in the engine compartment. 

I'm going to have to go up in the attic to look at the old wiring harness out of my car. It's a '72 though, so no guarantee if it's the same.

Awesome, that means I don't have another plug to find a home for.  I wonder if the plug I am looking at might not be a similar thing...in a non-AC car it would plug in as @Brew shows but in an AC car the plug with both a tan and a black with pink stripe wire is not used?

20 minutes ago, sredmyer said:

Awesome, that means I don't have another plug to find a home for.  I wonder if the plug I am looking at might not be a similar thing...in a non-AC car it would plug in as @Brew shows but in an AC car the plug with both a tan and a black with pink stripe wire is not used?

I don't know. I looked thru the wiring diagrams & circuit lists for a black/pink stripe wire. There's also a few listed as pink/black, but yours certainly seems to be black, with a stripe. There's one listed, but  doesn't seem to make sense.

Circuit 130 -generator (alternator) 1 ohm per foot.  This would be in the engine compartment I imagine.

The pink/black wire possibilities are:

Circuit 39 -Feed, ign sw "on", controlled fuse

Circuit 80- Feed-Key warning buzzer

Circuit 90 - Feed, cutout switch, controlled circuit breaker protected 

Circuit 139 - Feed, ign sw, "on", controlled, fused

Circuit 239 - Feed same as above, circ 139

There's also a circuit 159, black/purple that says its for: Ground- Key warning buzzer. Doubtful it's that if the other wire has power. Maybe use a voltmeter to see if there's any power on it?

57 minutes ago, sredmyer said:

I will check for power.  Just to be clear both wires (the tan and the black with pink stripe) are are crimped into a single connector in the plug.

Yep, I saw that. It's doubtful a tan wire would be a ground, but I guess you could see if it is with the ohm meter, now that you've verified there's no power on it.

It's sure looks exactly like the harness in Brew's pictures though. Sure would like to know where that black/pink wire goes.

If we don’t find out by tomorrow morning I will try to find out where it goes. I’m pulling heater core and have fenders off as well as windshield out so I should have an answer pretty easily. ( famous last words)

39 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Yep, I saw that. It's doubtful a tan wire would be a ground, but I guess you could see if it is with the ohm meter, now that you've verified there's no power on it.

It's sure looks exactly like the harness in Brew's pictures though. Sure would like to know where that black/pink wire goes.

Nope the Tan wire is not ground.  I have no idea where the wires go beyond when they go up into the main harness running across the top of the cluster.

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

Looks like the one! I've been trying to look at the schematics and all the pics from my car, but that's the one wire I didn't take a photo of, lol.

The brown is the fused feed to the 'Master Switch' . Not sure what the black/pink stripe feeds.

20210708_150552.jpg

Sorry, I quickly looked at my assembly manual before a meeting this afternoon. Looking at this diagram could it be the wire between the ambient sensor and compressor switch. It looks like a tan wire but not the black