Valve train noise

JG72

#s matching 402 just rebuilt and installed from the machine shop and I'm a very happy camper ;) Runs great after readjusting the carb. Just curious I've read the Hydro Roller comp cams and lifters 230/236 can have a sewing machine sound (which I have). I have only gone a few hundred miles since build. Anyone else experience this with this set up and is it a characteristic of these cams. Thanks guys

209358609_10226825689857139_2949226260689486530_n.jpg

212613861_10226831441720932_4808142398575645585_n.jpg

used comp cams in a 454 and was surprised at how noisy it is. I also have lifters draining down after only a few days of non use, this is realy noisy. I called them and they said that is normal for all hydraulic lifters???????? I have always relpaced lifters that bled down that quickly for fear of distroying the cam. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So from everything I've read online this is a very common complaint and it is normal so to speak with the noise with any of the roller cam and roller lifters. Just didn't expect it to be that loud with hydraulics but roller cams are aggressive so...Does almost sound like solid lifters which guys have said are quieter in some cases compared. Even after multiple adjustments etc. no change in sound.

Jim, car looks great. Looks like Jim Reid put the same cam in your motor that we put in mine. You will love it and yes the comp hydraulic roller lifters do make noise but as long as it is consistent (even sewing machine noise) you should be good. If you can hear one louder than the rest then you may want to look into it. I had an issue with a couple on my Chevelle’s motor but it was obvious noise problem. Comp warrantied the bad lifters, just a pain to change out. Hopefully see you at one of the cruise nights if the weather ever decides to cooperate.

Thanks! Yes we we will run into each other again. I never miss your car at cruise nights. Stands right out! Thanks for the feedback. I figured you were running a similar set up 👍🏻