I need some fuel gauge help, please

71SSclone

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to trouble shoot my fuel gauge on my 71 Monte. Fuel gauge always reads empty. From the trunk, I can access the single wire connector that goes to above the fuel tank. I unplugged the connector. Using an ohm meter, it reads 96 ohms with the key on, and 1.3 ohms with the key off.  Measuring voltage on the harness side, it reads 8.5 volts with the key on, 0 volts with the key off. I think I have excess resistance in the tan fuel gauge signal wire. Has anyone measured voltage on the tan signal wire at the trunk? Shouldn't  it be 12 volts?

The first few times I unplugged the tan signal wire in the trunk, the fuel gauge didn't move, but now when I unplug the tan signal wire, the fuel gauge goes to past full to around the 3:)0 position. 

Thoughts?

John

Heres the front and rear attachment spots, in the one you can also see the ground wire attached to body. As far as I know these are still all original bolts except for what I replaced. Also as far as I know it's the original tank too, it looks and fits as it should. Also still has original lines too. Some of the pictures will not load I'll try again. 20210710_195716.thumb.jpg.ab0cf5070cb6922c6f0227053f1eb426.jpg

20210710_195655.jpg

• Like 1

The straps on your tank, 71SSCLONE are correct. The small hole, facing the bumper is supposed to have a self tapping bolt going threw it into the shorter part. Then bend the strap slightly at the back of the tank. Tighten the long bolts near the rear differential till the straps are tight against the tank. 

As far as your gauge, it should read full unplugged. Check the ground  wire for connection and good ground. If that is good it is the rehastat. Basically the sending unit is no good. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help and thanks for posting pics.  I'll dig into it more today. I definitely did not see a ground wire attached to the body, so I'll check there first. Looks like I need to drop the tank anyways to check for a fuel leak. I'll get new bolts with a longer threaded part to draw the straps tight and install the 2 bolts in the rear of the straps. The tank and straps were replaced recently, but I'm not sure about the sending unit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update, fuel gauge is fixed and the tanks is now mounted correctly.  Looks like the ground wire from the sending unit was connected directly to the fuel gauge sending wire. Repaired the wiring, installed new fuel lines, and reinstalled the fuel tank with new hardware from the Parts Place. 

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Good job. What’s next?  

Check in the engine section.  Gotta replace the flexplate. lol

I also have new front lower control arms and coil springs to install. I've already replaced the front upper control arms

9 hours ago, 71SSclone said:

Check in the engine section.  Gotta replace the flexplate. lol

I also have new front lower control arms and coil springs to install. I've already replaced the front upper control arms

Yep I seen that. That should take about 25 minutes to do. JK. lol. 

6 hours ago, willie said:

Nice going John. Keep on going!!!

Dennis LOL 25 min, lol.    Takes me 25 min to start mine. I walk around her for 20 and 5 min to start her. LOL

Ya it takes me 25 minutes of debating on whether I even want to drive my cars. Cause if I do then I get to spend weeks fixing them. That’s why I never drive them. Lol. 

Ya it takes me 25 minutes of debating on whether I even want to drive my cars. Cause if I do then I get to spend weeks fixing them. That’s why I never drive them. Lol

Dennis i feel your pain. I just dont want to clean them again, and again.    Seems like an hour drive cost you 8 to 10 hrs cleaning time.  Thats why i should build myself a driver.  LOL

1 hour ago, willie said:

Ya it takes me 25 minutes of debating on whether I even want to drive my cars. Cause if I do then I get to spend weeks fixing them. That’s why I never drive them. Lol

Dennis i feel your pain. I just dont want to clean them again, and again.    Seems like an hour drive cost you 8 to 10 hrs cleaning time.  Thats why i should build myself a driver.  LOL

My 88 is that nice but not my chevelle. But I don’t clean them much anyway. Drivers not show cars.