Neighborly help

Neighbors had a family heirloom that over the years got destroyed. They took it to a furniture restoration company and we’re quoted in excess of 1000 bucks to fix. They bought it to me for my opinion. I told them I’d fix it but it wouldn’t be perfect but it should turn out ok. A little freehand work with the dremel. I think it going to be ok. I’m in the process now of bending the big pieces to about a 40 degree bend. Just something different to post that someone might find interesting 

E9434689-5764-4270-87C9-5D2A26447FE1.jpeg

B7DB92D5-F9F0-4982-91AB-49EE20537141.jpeg

7F700BAF-1DDA-4EC0-BC43-3831BB063470.jpeg

3CC9C9F2-F4B3-4FD1-A0B3-066D61A0A61B.jpeg

It is a very nice thing you are doing for your neighbor.  Saving someone's family heirloom is a very special thing to do.  About three years ago we had a furniture restorer redo my wife's grandmother's dining-room set that was given to my wife.  The guy who did it was a Russian immigrant who had been moved to this country a number years ago.  they did the chairs, table, buffet and China cabinet for an amazing $2400.  We later wanted to have him do an old radio cabinet that I had turned into a bar but when we tried to contact him we found out he had passed away.

rob

That sux. People that do that kind of work are few and far between, especially quality work. A lot of people say that can and then turn out horrible work. 

35 minutes ago, willie said:

Nice going Dennis!!!   Did you have the middle piece to trace or did you do it freehand?    Looks great!!

All I had was the broken one in the picture. The other side was completely broke out. And a picture of what it used to look like. I traced what I could and free hand off the picture. It’s not close to perfect but it will do. I got about 12 bucks into it so far and shouldn’t have to buy anything else. But about 8 hours of time so far. Now I have to see how the moist bending of the big pieces turn out. Hopefully they don’t break when bending. Or I get to do it all again. The second time I’ll cut better. Lol. 

Looks great Dennis, a man of many talents! Certainly one area I've never been good at, woodworking & carpentry (can barely pound a nail straight, lol).

There are several furniture restorers in the Gettysburg area. My brother has had several pieces of furniture redone and they have turned out great but not cheap for sure. He had my mom and dads original bed room suite they got for a wedding gift from one of her brothers. I ANTIQUED back in the 70's when I had it and the guy that restored it would have shot me if he had gotten ahold of me.

7 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Looks great Dennis, a man of many talents! Certainly one area I've never been good at, woodworking & carpentry (can barely pound a nail straight, lol).

I love any type of woodwork. Remodeled two houses and built a garage from footers to cinder block to framing and finishing. Mostly by myself( putting trusses up alone is not easy but can be done). I still can’t paint though 

Mostly by myself( putting trusses up alone is not easy but can be done)  

I put 13 of those trusses 24" on center by myself. I really enjoyed that part. My neighbor came over that evening and asked my who helped and told me, myself and I.  LOL I sure got tired of climbing the ladder that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Dennis!!!   Way to go woodman!!!!!   Also i love your tea pot.   Now you can sit back and have a spot of tea. lol    No get wrenching on the car!!!

5 minutes ago, willie said:

Nice job Dennis!!!   Way to go woodman!!!!!   Also i love your tea pot.   Now you can sit back and have a spot of tea. lol    No get wrenching on the car!!!

Woodsman. That’s what Karen calls me. Lol. Thanks 

Glad you were able to figure out how to get it done, great job.  I love wood working my 2nd favorite hobby right behind golfing and then the 72 Monte. Just made a molding for a friends daughter that one of her dogs chewed up/. All kinds of cutting on that 1 X 4, it is close but not perfect but she will be very happy with it as it goes inside a closet.

Ya I think I would rather do woodwork than anything. Building things, that’s the best. Nothing beats the smell of fresh cut wood. Thanks by the way. 

On 7/11/2021 at 7:46 PM, Dtret said:

That sux. People that do that kind of work are few and far between, especially quality work. A lot of people say that can and then turn out horrible work. 

thats so true!!  skilled crafts people are few and far between...we are losing far more than are coming up...plasterers,bricklayers,furniture,upolstery you name it...also goes as far  as plumbers ,electricians , HVAC techs, mechanics etc...for the few that would rather spin a wrench than click a phone a lifelong well paying career that can't be outsourced across the ocean awaits...

Not expected but the neighbors dropped off about 500 bucks worth of wire closet shelving. I can use that in the new basement closet I’m going to eventually build. 

As usual instant gratification and I didn't scroll down enough the first time...what a beautiful repair job on that piece!  that's from someone who is fair to good with a ratchet but utterly useless with wood...now that piece should stay in the family and has a whole new set of memories... those that went before and now they can add the one about the neighbor who  lovingly repaired it!!  very cool