70 Bucket Seat Cover

FrankOC

I have new Legendary cloth seat covers.   On the uppers there is a horizontal seam and on the back there is a pocket for a listing wire.   
my question to anyone that has installed new seat covers, does that seam get hog ringed to the springs?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

When I tried looking this up before I believe the stock covers weren't tied down with the horizontal listing. However, it looks good to have it partially pulled down. I'm in the middle of doing upper 70 bucket covers and I just put tension on that seam using zip ties, they didn't need to be pulled as tight as the side seams. You would have to cut the foam for a channel.

If you ordered new foams from Legendary, they should have "groves" in them for pulling these pockets into. I agree that if you fasten them to the springs, that is too much. I use the heavy wire from coat hangers in the pockets and zip ties to pull them towards the seat springs for the tension that looks good to you. If I ever get my seat covers from Legendary, that's what I'll be doing. 

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Frank, look at the Legendary video for the 69 Chevelle covers as it shows how to install the bolster listing wires. The video is really good at showing all the steps needed to install their covers on 68-70 bucket seat covers as they are very similar in design. The bolster listings need to be installed in the correct position on top of the burlap and hog ringed to the seat springs. Then when you hog ring the seat cover listing wire to the seat listing wire it will pull the seat cover down to give it the factory bolster look. I will need to do the same with my 1970 Chevelle covers but won’t be doing them until sometime in August as I just received the seat foam for them.

3 hours ago, Mike Brichta said:

The Legendary video is really good. Now I just have to receive my covers so i can get started. Good thing i ordered them back in March.

I also ordered covers, springs, foam from Legendary… The whole 9 yards. I’ve gotten everything but the foam. I can’t figure out the rhyme or reason behind their ordering / back order / shipping methodology. 

38 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

And I have the foams but no covers. Lol.

Yeah... i’m gonna call them tomorrow and find out where my last three items are:  seat foam, door panels and rear quarter interior panels. I’m gonna have the interior done either over the winter or as soon as the weather breaks next spring. Either way I think the last estimated delivery date for everything still on back order in no was sometime in September. 

If you buy direct from Legendary there will be a wait period as they don't stock the stuff they make. So if you order seat covers and door panels direct your order is put in their system and built to their schedule. If you are in a hurray buy them from a stocking dealer you will get them much faster as long as the dealer has stock. However when I ordered the interior stuff for my 70 Camaro (a few years ago) the wait wasn't excessive. I didn't go to my local stocking dealer because they didn't have the install kit (highly recommended to have the install kit) so I would have been waiting for that anyway. So far Legendary has the best stuff in my opinion.

rotin

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Those covers look great. I wish they had split bench cloth covers. 😞

The Legendary catalog lists split bench seat covers in vinyl and cloth.  May be worth giving them a call or requesting a catalog through their website.

Try bench seat. 70-72 Monte Carlos did not come with a split bench. Just because the backs of the seat fold foward to let people into the rear seat is not considered  a split bench seat to the upholstery companys. 

What they consider a split bench seat are the 60/40 seats. Where they are basically bucket seats that touch eachother. Passenger and driver's side move independently from eachother.  Alot of g-bodys and b-bodys had them. 

I called them to see if they could make my bucket covers. 46 (that’s not 4 to 6) weeks minimum if they could even get the material. I went another direction. That didn’t work out so well for me either. 6 months later my seat parts and material are sitting in the garage collecting dust. But the Upolstry guy did call me yesterday to make sure that I still wanted to do them. I said yes, he said give me a few weeks and I’ll work them in. Ugh. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I called them to see if they could make my bucket covers. 46 (that’s not 4 to 6) weeks minimum if they could even get the material. I went another direction. That didn’t work out so well for me either. 6 months later my seat parts and material are sitting in the garage collecting dust. But the Upolstry guy did call me yesterday to make sure that I still wanted to do them. I said yes, he said give me a few weeks and I’ll work them in. Ugh. 

Damn, hopefully he's better at his job than the carburetor guy...