2021 Western Meet - Creston, BC

This meet has been cancelled.

The news came out August 20th regarding new protocols for the BC interior due to increasing covid-19 cases. The drag racing event is cancelled, restaurants are closing up and Creston has become one of the highest infection rates in BC so we have no choice but to cancel the meet.

Please ensure you cancel your hotel reservations.

WMLogo2020_100.jpg

17th Annual Western Meet
Creston, BC, Canada
September 2-5, 2021

The 2021 Western Meet will be in Creston, BC. The town of Creston is located on the Canadian border and offers some great scenery in the area. We expect roughly 15-20 members to attend. We will update the web site and message forum periodically as information comes available. If you have any questions regarding this meet, please contact me.

Weekend Schedule

Thursday:  Free day to do sightseeing, clean up your car, interact with fellow members.

Friday:  Scenic Cruise (9am-4pm)

Saturday:  Local Creston Cruise (9am-2pm)

Sunday:  FGMCC awards

And of course, every night is a party at the Hotel!

US Residents crossing the border
As of August 9th fully vaccinated US residents are allowed into Canada but there are some requirements:
- Valid passport
- Proof of being fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to entering Canada with two doses of Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson.
- Use ArriveCAN app (or web portal) to submit their travel information. Easy to download and fill out the required information to ensure you meet the entry criteria.
- Pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result less than 72 hours before arrival at the border. See your health care provider or schedule a test at a local Labcorp or Walgreens location. In some cases these tests are free or very minimal cost.

Hotel info

Magnuson Hotel Creston
800 Northwest Blvd. Creston, BC
250-428-2224
Web Site: http://pages.roomsy.com/magnuson-creston/
Email: magnusoncreston@gmail.com

Each person just simply needs to book the room. If you book online through this web site please ensure you call them with the credit card information to complete the reservation. Your reservation is not kept unless you give them the credit card info. You can also try booking through other sites if you wish (Expedia, etc). I suspect that with it being the labor day long weekend that they may start to fill up rooms so I suggest you book soon. If you have trouble getting a room there please contact Aaron (dodsyaaron@gmail.com or 250-494-4024).

Event registration
No car show registration required. You simply need to be a dues paying FGMCC member.

We will have activities from Friday morning (September 3rd) through Sunday night (September 5th). You can decide on how much of the weekend to participate in. Most members will arrive by Wednesday evening and leave on Monday morning but some members will come for a shorter visit. Club members must inform me if you are planning on attending the meet. This will be important for planning the activities for the weekend. You must be a dues paying FGMCC member to participate in the meet activities.

• Like 1

• Canuck pinned this topic
37 minutes ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

For us south of the Canadian border, I'm assuming we are all SOL for attending the event due to the border issue. I don't have a passport yet either.

It is only the US border that is closed to Canadians with no plan of when it will be open.

As of August 9th US residents will be able to come to Canada. US residents need to be fully vaccinated and have a covid test done less than 72 hours before crossing the border. In addition a passport is needed.

This decision was not taken lightly and I do understand that it will not work for everyone. The options available were stick with Bigfork, MT and have a 50/50 chance of the entire Western Meet being cancelled or move the meet to a Canadian location where we can have good attendance regardless of what happens with the US border. I really wanted Bigfork to work but there was way too much uncertainty.

I'm sorry this location will not work for you and hope to see you at a future Western Meet which will once again be South of the border.

Yeah, I'm not getting the vaccine shot because I know there are compounds in them that are not meant to be in our bodies.

My wife works in the medical field and she knows all about the vaccines and that they were never fully tested, and the potential side effects from getting the vaccine shot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

Yeah, I'm not getting the vaccine shot because I know there are compounds in them that are not meant to be in our bodies.

My wife works in the medical field and she knows all about the vaccines and that they were never fully tested, and the potential side effects from getting the vaccine shot.

Doug,

I heard on the news that it is expected that most all of the vaccines that will be moved from "Emergency Approval" to "Full Approval", hopefully September or October.  While I understand some people's reluctance to get the vaccine, I also look at the amount of testing that was done on the current vaccines AND I look at the number of people I personally know that have died from Covid and the many more people I know who got very sick.  

I worked in the medical field for many years and many friends of mine who also worked many years longer than myself in the field.  A couple of these friends even participated in the trials of the vaccines.  No vaccines were ever "meant" to  be  in our bodies but have been developed by reputable companies to save our lives.  

For this Western Meet and Aaron having to reschedule it, since you don't have a passport the vaccine shots are something that doesn't figure in for you.  The ideal plan would have been if the meet would not have had to be moved but Aaron tried to make a decision that would satisfy the majority of people.  Maybe Next Year.

rob

I don’t want this post to be about whether people should get the vaccine or not. Please refrain from further discussion on that topic as it is not relevant here. I realize that the change in location will leave some people out which is unfortunate but the decision to move the meet was purely about maintaining good enough attendance so we can still have a meet.

One other thought that hasn't been considered Aaron is, what is/will requirement(s) for US citizens re-entry be coming back into the US once outside of it (example; will I be required to be tested prior to re-entry?).  I haven't seen anything as yet stating that requirement and clarity on this will be important!  Also, I may not be able to make this Meet if I can't assure a Covid test within that (3) days and will see what I might be able to do.

I will try and have an answer for you by this time next week.

Really do appreciate your break neck pivot attempting to salvage this years Meet Aaron.  Hard enough putting together the Original only having to go to Plan B in such a protracted period of time.  Regardless of my personal situation, I hope ALL who wants to attend is able to attend.   Ba assured,  whatever Aaron Plans will be fully enjoyed by all.  Hope I am able to make it work................... 😁     

Doug

• Like 1

I guess this would be the appropriate place to post a thank you to Aaron for doing what needs to be done to make the western meet a reality. Linda and I are disappointed but not ready to give up and plan to be at next years western meet, regardless of which side of the border it is on. Aaron, keep up the good work and I hope to meet you in person someday soon.

• Like 2

This is really ironic, I live in Creston and just bought a ‘72 Monte Carlo a few days ago, was just browsing the website for some excellent technical data and I see “Creston BC meet” on the side bar…guess I’ll have to be meeting up with you guys!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MohaveGold72 said:

This is really ironic, I live in Creston and just bought a ‘72 Monte Carlo a few days ago, was just browsing the website for some excellent technical data and I see “Creston BC meet” on the side bar…guess I’ll have to be meeting up with you guys!

That is funny. I look forward to meeting you.

I sent you a private message.

So far I have 15 members attending and 13 hotel rooms are booked. If you plan to attend I suggest you book your room as soon as you can.

We're at 17 members. That's a great response considering the recent change in location and the border restrictions.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:59 AM, Canuck said:

Dash plaque artwork is done thanks to member Dave Mau. Each member in attendance will receive one of these.

image.png

Them are really cool. Nice looking. 

I'll be doing my drive to Creston 2 weeks from today.

Some door prizes arrived in the mail today plus a few special items for long term members. :yay:

• Like 1

If anyone plans to do the drag racing on Sunday Sep 5th here are the rules and registration info:

https://www.crestonvalleycruisers.com/copy-of-airport-drag-races

$10 admission for spectators (kids 12 and under are free)
$30 fee to race

Onsite food vendors

There is a full set up with safety crews at the drags. There will be muscle cars, drag bikes and other vehicles racing on the track. Note that airport does not allow for any traction compound to be put down.

If anyone has a fold up canopy it might be a good idea to bring in case it is needed for shade. I have a 10x10 canopy I will be bringing.

eIMG_7669_edited.jpg

As usual, if anyone has some car related items they wish to add to the club door prizes please give those to me at the hotel.

A reminder that you mist be a current dues paying club member in order to participate in club activities (cruises, banquet, awards, door prizes, etc). If you are unsure of your membership status or need to join/renew please let me know. I have sent emails to those who need to join/renew their club dues.