What paint color should I go with?

1Bad454

Okay I found a body shop that is willing to take on painting my car. They are willing to take the body and rotisserie it. They will strip it down completely, soda blast it and start from scratch. Please give me your thoughts and opinions. On the color or anything else.   

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

• Like 1

It is your car paint it what you like. My 72 is Ferrari Red, a red they only used two years 1985 and 1995.  Original color was Golden Brown Code 57. When I stripped it to bare metal in 2013 I found some of the factory color and did not care for it. It was already painted Ferrari Red when I purchased and I fell in love with the red so it stayed red.

• Like 1

Are you restoring the car?  I thought you were. Original color. If not the sky is the limit. A nice color may help the value ( I know you’re not selling). The paint in the pictures looks pretty darn good from Ohio(lol). IMO I love black but I think it’s overdone, same with red( love red too). How about a nice dark silver-charcoal gray?  This could go on all day. Your car we can only give opinions. Good luck. While you’re deciding do they want to do mine first. I already know the color and it on a rotisserie and completely stripped. Lol. Good luck man.  Tough decision 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Are you restoring the car?  I thought you were. Original color. If not the sky is the limit. A nice color may help the value ( I know you’re not selling). The paint in the pictures looks pretty darn good from Ohio(lol). IMO I love black but I think it’s overdone, same with red( love red too). How about a nice dark silver-charcoal gray?  This could go on all day. Your car we can only give opinions. Good luck. While you’re deciding do they want to do mine first. I already know the color and it on a rotisserie and completely stripped. Lol. Good luck man.  Tough decision 

Dennis forgive me for not being more clear. My brain thinks faster than I type! 🤣

I'm looking to stay within the factory colors for 71. I may end up staying with the same urine gold.. It does have a good paint job but it has some chips and scratches along with a poor vinyl top install so I want to start fresh.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that it will be 9 MONTHS!! before they can take my car in..... 

This place is legit though. They had a hand full of classics in there shop stripped to the bone that they were working on.

59 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Dennis forgive me for not being more clear. My brain thinks faster than I type! 🤣

I'm looking to stay within the factory colors for 71. I may end up staying with the same urine gold.. It does have a good paint job but it has some chips and scratches along with a poor vinyl top install so I want to start fresh.

Another thing that I didn't mention is that it will be 9 MONTHS!! before they can take my car in..... 

This place is legit though. They had a hand full of classics in there shop stripped to the bone that they were working on.

Ya and I don’t think I’m going to trailer my car to Cali either. Lol. But seriously I can’t find anyone out here willing to do it( granted I have not put a lot of effort in it either). Too busy with all the other car issues. You can save yourself a lot of billable time if you get all the parts off that body though. 

• Like 1

Go back with original color. The high solid clears they use these days really make that gold pop. 
this is mine recently painted original color. That paint is dry. 

7DE940A9-E289-4531-B97B-C58B83F3D9FC.jpeg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ya and I don’t think I’m going to trailer my car to Cali either. Lol. But seriously I can’t find anyone out here willing to do it( granted I have not put a lot of effort in it either). Too busy with all the other car issues. You can save yourself a lot of billable time if you get all the parts off that body though. 

Yeah I'm going to attempt taking the vinyl top off and removing the trim and glass.   

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

Go back with original color. The high solid clears they use these days really make that gold pop. 

Wow now that looks nice. 😎

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

That is beautiful.  Don't forget to do the rockers and area under the sill plate in the simi-gloss black.

rob

• Like 1

I say pick a colour you like from the 1971 factory list. My 71 SS454 was originally Rosewood with white vinyl top but was repainted Classic Copper without vinyl and I don't think it has hurt the value much to be honest. I see your vinyl top/trim is not the factory style and appears to be aftermarket or dealer installed. Are you going to remove it and simply paint the roof? For me I either like the factory style vinyl top or nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

That is beautiful.  Don't forget to do the rockers and area under the sill plate in the simi-gloss black.

rob

I’m not that particular. Gold is good for me. 😎

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

rob

Hey Rob was that a factory option?

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

I say pick a colour you like from the 1971 factory list. My 71 SS454 was originally Rosewood with white vinyl top but was repainted Classic Copper without vinyl and I don't think it has hurt the value much to be honest. I see your vinyl top/trim is not the factory style and appears to be aftermarket or dealer installed. Are you going to remove it and simply paint the roof? For me I either like the factory style vinyl top or nothing.

Yeah I'm planning on having the vinyl top done correctly. I do like the color of your car as well. If I went with Classic Copper I would do the same as you and ditch the vinyl top.   

12 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Yeah I'm planning on having the vinyl top done correctly. I do like the color of your car as well. If I went with Classic Copper I would do the same as you and ditch the vinyl top.   

No copy catting.lol

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

I’m sure Rob will chime in but I was told that all Monte’s had the black rockers and sill area. I know mine does and will again. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I’m not that particular. Gold is good for me. 😎

Trust me, you want those rockers painted black as it sets the car off so much better. I did the black part myself after my 70 was painted.

5BBD0844-9B6E-454E-9BBB-DE68DFF5591F.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

No, it was not an option.  The rockers were all painted satin black that extended at an angle up under the sill plate

rob

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

No, it was not an option.  The rockers were all painted satin black that extended at an angle up under the sill plate

rob

Just asking for my own car. The back of the front fenders were not painted black correct?

I didn't know that. I remember Dennis telling me about it but I didn't realize that's how they came from the factory. Yes I will see to it if I remember in 9 months. 🤣    

• 2 weeks later...

For what it’s worth, I love the gold. I actually still have the picture from one of the ads of a 70 SS that I had looked into prior to scoring the one I own. The only reason I didn’t get this one was it was already sold when I called to inquire (everything happens for a reason, they say). There’s a lot to be said regarding originality.  But at the end of the day it is your baby, do with it what makes you happy. 

0CD5CC0F-C2A0-4747-BDB7-5C4B97C96A22.png

• Like 3

I'm partial to gold also and yours is a nice shade to go with a black vinyl top.  I've owned two Autumn Gold (code 58) '70s and loved them both.  I bought the first one new in '70 with a white vinyl top and sandalwood interior and bought the SS forty-one years later with a black vinyl top and black interior.  I don't own either one now but I still admire them.  Good luck with your choice.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

P9293858.JPG

• Like 3