How bad are the factory brakes on an SS?

1Bad454

I'm not racing but I'd like to stop when I need to. So how do the factory power brakes fair?

P.S. I did purchase high performance graphite/ceramic pads for the front discs.  

I don't know how others feel but the factory brakes work fine on all our Montes. 

Wether drag racing or just driving, no issues what so ever. 

Know people going 8s in the 1/4 with factory brakes with no problems. 

• Like 1

I agree my stock set up works great. I have a set of performance pads on the front but that's it. A couple years ago I had to slam on my brakes when someone pulled out in front of me...thought for sure I was gonna hit them but my Monte stopped with room to spare. I was actually impressed.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen! Yeah I've had a few people tell me that I should change the factory brakes because of the HP that I'll be running for street. As I've stated I'm not racing just cruising and maybe an occasional burnout. Or maybe frequent burnouts. 🤣   

The brake system should be fine as it is, the front pads are the same as some full sized cars also. Although I did upgrade to the front to drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on mine and did notice a difference for the better. Everything else is 100 percent stock including front calipers which were replaced with new ones. Eventually I will upgrade to braided hoses on the front when they need to be changed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I like the drilled/ slotted rotors and ceramic pads from powerstop. But not for mine. Possibly the chevelle though 

That's what I got is the power stop for the monte, for my truck I got the Detroit axel ones. Already put backs on I still gotta put fronts on but as good of quality at power stop imo.

5 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

Thank you gentlemen! Yeah I've had a few people tell me that I should change the factory brakes because of the HP that I'll be running for street. As I've stated I'm not racing just cruising and maybe an occasional burnout. Or maybe frequent burnouts. 🤣   

If in fact you aren't planning to be racing the car it doesn't that you have a higher Horsepower that you are running for street.  If you are only running your car on the street and staying reasonably within normal posted speed limits it doesn't matter if your are running 1000 horsepower it is the speed that is what counts when braking.  I guess what I am saying at 35 or 55 MPH stopping is the same no matter the horsepower.

rob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1Bad454 said:

I have around 520HP at the flywheel. Had no problem holding the brake and doing a burnout at the track. On the street with street tires no need for the brakes just give it a little gas and the tires go up in smoke. 4:11 gears help too, lol.

• Like 1

Same as 502ci. I have no problems slowing down from a 122mph pass with my factory brake system. Not even better pads or shoes. Basic, basic stuff. 

• Like 1

you would think that when they engineered that braking system they put in some extra capacity just like a weight limit on a bridge or anything else(we can only hope)...  slowing down fast from 122 mph is assurance enough for me-sounds like the design is fine-its just up to us to keep that pedal high and tight  and the gas pedal seems like alot more fun anyway...that  other pedal we only notice it if its not there...yikes!!!

1 hour ago, Blake350 said:

you would think that when they engineered that braking system they put in some extra capacity just like a weight limit on a bridge or anything else(we can only hope)...  slowing down fast from 122 mph is assurance enough for me-sounds like the design is fine-its just up to us to keep that pedal high and tight  and the gas pedal seems like alot more fun anyway...that  other pedal we only notice it if its not there...yikes!!!

You would think that Brian but chevy used the same pads on some of there pick up trucks also, basically the same brake system as on our montes that's a little scary. 

The thing with brakes is it depends on how you are going to use them and the tire suspension combination. Drag only cars have different requirements than a road race car. Stock brakes work well for stock (normal?) driving they could get you killed if you are canyon carving. A test I like to do is to accelerate to a high speed (whatever you are comfortable with really bad brakes will show themselves at legal speeds) come to nearly a full stop and repeat at least 3 times (or until the brakes scare you) as quick as the car will accelerate to the speed you were using. If after the 3rd time the brakes still work than the brakes are suitable for how you drive. If you are comfortable at 40 mph doing this most brakes will pass, if you are comfortable doing this at 100 mph fully stock brakes might scare you. I had a Mustang GT that I did a full performance stop from the cars top speed (somewhere north of 140 mph) The stock brakes failed after 1 stop, smoke was rolling and the rotors cracked. Needless to say that car got an upgrade because I drove that car hard. If I drove the GT "normally" I would rate them as marginal (140 mph car 50 mph brakes). Monte brakes are good for some spirited driving with proper pads/shoes, good lines/hoses/hydraulics, and the proper fresh fluid. I am changing my SS from straight line to touring car so a brake upgrade is in progress.

rotin

• Like 1