Out of the shop... FINALLY

Two and a half months later, my girl was finally done today!  I was so excited with the work, I forgot to take pix while she was still on the rack when I did a once over prior to payment. 

Trans cleaned, media blasted and completely rebuilt with mild shift kit. Looks like the day it was first installed. Drives and shifts superbly.  Check out the epoxy slathered on a section with crappy/porous casting... if you look closely you can see red ink under it, presumably where they circled the area that had to be sealed!  I’d guess this was a Monday or Friday transmission 😂😂

Rear brake lines rerouted to clear the coil overs.

And while the car was there he noticed whoever last changed the valve cover gaskets used ones for aluminum heads so they both leaked. So I asked him to knock those out while it was there to save me some time. Turns out the flanges were distorted after the prior owner kept torquing down the bolts to try to stop the leaking. So this guy, who is also a Monte Carlo fan and owns a 72 project with a 454, tells me:  “ these are the original dripper‘s ...let me take care of these like it was my own car”.  He straightened them out, media blasted and primed and painted them and went back to the tried and true Fel-Pro cork gaskets. 

I was so happy with the work I did my best to crawl under it without jacking her up to take some pictures, hope you all get an idea of how nice it looks. He was even able to remove the rivet holding the trans tag without breaking it and reuse it thanks to a little JB Weld. These pics really don’t do it justice, but wanted to share them away.  

I noticed the AC compressor belt had a tad too much slack in it once I got her home, so I tightened it and went for a nice hour long ride.   

He’ll be emailing me pix of the rebuild work in a few days so I’ll share them when I get them. 

4AF3D449-DE39-4884-A822-AAE1D6E3328C.jpeg

7CA8FB40-BB10-46A9-8813-F736930B56F8.jpeg

A5EDBD70-05BC-4612-9391-7242206EBF6F.jpeg

44D1AEE9-3CB2-4473-B43A-56E71556FB97.jpeg

3EC262FA-671B-4F58-96EE-825594328ABD.jpeg

0267C28B-5C9B-423E-9840-BA1DBD64DE42.jpeg

173B94DC-A66A-4750-A3AE-120D9CAC57B0.jpeg

1D8339CD-6D16-4B56-BBC3-902DB330C283.jpeg

15 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

Is that a chevelle cowl flapper air cleaner?

Jared,

Yes it is.

I was wondering why the car had a Chevelle air cleaner in its “for sale” pix, but wasn’t concerned about it as I knew I’d be able to get a proper one. So I splurged and bought a completely refurbished original Monte air cleaner right after I struck the deal on the car, which I tried to put on yesterday.  

Only problem was it didn’t fit. Turns out the Quick Fuel (Holley) carb is obviously bigger/taller than the original Rochester???When I ordered the Monte cleaner, the only possible issue discussed with the company at the time was deck height concerning the aftermarket intake manifold. I even sent the attached pictures to the company to make sure it would fit and they claimed it wouldn’t be a problem. 

So I guess I have another part to throw in the rafters until the time I decide to set her back to stock. I was really looking forward to seeing it with the original cleaner, but I guess that’s gonna have to wait. 

E1FEEE1E-F689-4BD0-B332-B515F32D045D.png

60B28A47-1791-4E3C-A11E-C050F0A0DBEE.png

724FA5FC-2EA5-4224-97E3-9D902C81BAA9.png

43CA8D83-1056-4589-AA1C-69DC12BE4F22.png

The issue is that the float bowl adjusting screws/nuts hit the base of the air cleaner assy. If you want to use the factory air cleaner assy, you need to purchase or make an air cleaner spacer. 

The cowl inducted Chevelle air cleaner has one to lift the assy high enough to seal against the hood. 

I believe spectre and a few other places sell spacers in a kit of various heights. They are usually plastic. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

The issue is that the float bowl adjusting screws/nuts hit the base of the air cleaner assy. If you want to use the factory air cleaner assy, you need to purchase or make an air cleaner spacer. 

The cowl inducted Chevelle air cleaner has one to lift the assy high enough to seal against the hood. 

I believe spectre and a few other places sell spacers in a kit of various heights. They are usually plastic. 

Very cool, thanks!  I have an hour to kill at my overnight side job…guess what I’m about to do...