Factory primer questions

Does anyone know if the factory used white primer under the factory color. Also the original color was supposed to be mist green but it sure looks like dark green over the primer. I also took off at least 3 other coats of other paint off too. Looks like a gold and a couple coats of silver, and a few coats of primer theres a lot of paint on this hood and I'm taking it down to bear metal.

20210728_182759.jpg

Good question. Lol. What is the last color before you get to bare metal? That would be the factory primer.

I would guess the same black that the replacement parts came in. 

After 50 years, anything can be under the topcoat. In the early 1970's GM used a "dip" primer that was black, we called it "Black-dip". Later, PPG and Ford had a "electro deposition primer" that was a huge improvement. PPG called it ELPO, not sure about Ford. I think Ford paid PPG for the formula and made it themselves prior to DuPont purchasing the Ford paint business in the ? mid 1980's. BTW, DuPont was later purchased by Axalta.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stangeba said:

PPG called it ELPO, not sure about Ford. 

Ford should have called it El Peel, for all the vehicles that the paint literally peeled off the cars back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1