Original dual exhaust tail pipe look (non-SS)

TheBMan

Does anyone have a picture of what the original dual exhaust tips/tail pipes look like on the 72 Monte's? (non-SS) My car came with chrome tips (welded on) that I do not like and I want to replace them with something that looks like whatever the factory did back in the day. I've Googled for images but can't find an original picture of the car from the rear clearly showing the tail pipes.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, TheBMan said:

Does anyone have a picture of what the original dual exhaust tips/tail pipes look like on the 72 Monte's? (non-SS) My car came with chrome tips (welded on) that I do not like and I want to replace them with something that looks like whatever the factory did back in the day. I've Googled for images but can't find an original picture of the car from the rear clearly showing the tail pipes.

Thanks!

The non-SS dual exhaust simply had a pipe that angled down. You can see the black turn down tip after the resonator.

hc9718__09671.1520625854.1280.1280.jpg?c

• Like 3

Bryan,

It sounds like your '72 Monte currently has dual exhausts.  If it was built with a big block engine (LS3 or LS5), it would have had dual exhaust from the factory.  If it was built with a small block, it could have also had the RPO N10 dual exhaust option.  In either case, the dual exhaust pipes were terminated at the back with a resonator assembly (looks like a small glass-packed muffler) P/N 3925105-6 that included a short downward curved pipe with no added tip. (See assembly line photo provided by Aaron.)

If it was built with a small block engine and no RPO N10, then it was originally a single exhaust pipe with no resonator assembly and a similar downward curved tailpipe with no added tip.  

In addition to the photo Aaron has provided, I found one of the rear end of a '72 Custom from our site that shows the right hand exhaust pipe barely extending below the bumper.  The '70 Factory Assembly Manual I have also shows all of the locational dimensions relative to the rear frame and I would expect it to be the same on the '72.  If you need that information, let me know.

72custom105.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

The non-SS dual exhaust simply had a pipe that angled down. You can see the black turn down tip after the resonator.

hc9718__09671.1520625854.1280.1280.jpg?c

@Canuck - this is great, thanks! I love this picture - a snapshot in time. I wonder where that car is today? Per @MCfan's comments, my car is a small block Custom so I have the dual exhaust. I can see just enough of that exhaust tip (in the photo he provided) to figure out the approximate location and angle of the tips. @MCfan - if you have the time and can provide the additional information, that would be great. It might help me get as close to stock as possible.

Thanks guys!

Here you go, Bryan.  There are many more pages in the '70 Factory Assembly Manual regarding the exhaust system, but these three pages include the Monte Carlo so the rest is just confusing Chevelle stuff.

One of these pages shows the locating dimensions for the resonator and chrome SS tip.  One shows how the resonator assembly is attached and one shows the turned down tailpipe tips location relative to the bumper.  Hope this is useful.  Good luck.

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Interesting, always thought that all FGMC comes with dual exhaust?

Most everyone that kept them alive after 50 years has updated to duals. I did it in the eighties to all my cars. I never had a 6 cylinder so I didn’t pull that trick. Cut the cat add headers and duals.