Speedometer cable

John S

Does anyone have an idea what the length of a speedometer cable for a 70 Monte Carlo with a four-speed is? The one that is presently on the car is not correct and is considerably longer than I believe it should be. If anyone has an idea I’d appreciate it. I didn’t look at the parts place to see if they have lengths listed. I got one years ago from in line tube and this one as well over 70 inches long that can’t be right.

John S

9 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

This page shows 64" for all 70's They also show a chart for a Chevelle that shows 70" with speed control and cruise control but I can't get that chart copied to this post

All of the replacement speedo cables I have ever gotten came long and I had to cut them off and crimp on the other end but that has been years ago and do not know the latest and greatest

If the speedometer cable is routed the way the assembly manual states 60 inch cable is too short. The 60 inch cable looks as if it would work on the transmission with the speedo connection on the driver side. A 69 or 70 inch cable seems to fit correctly as shown in the assembly manual. Also I have a four-speed manual.

John S

05AC4E96-3983-4331-992D-F38C3F5C9CE6.jpeg

It doesn’t state the length of the speedometer cable only the part number. I’ve got it figured out they make a number of different lengths you got to use your head and figure it out.

John S

When you replace the speedometer cable with the new one should you pull the cable out and lightly lubricate it or leave it as it is? I was going to lightly lubricate it with white lithium grease. It is been about 40 years since I replaced one let me know what you guys do with them.

John S

It is very possible it will correct that problem.  It does depend upon how much crud has gathered on the cable and inside the cable housing.  You may need to clean both of them out first.

rob

I think most people recommend lithium grease but I am sure others will chime in with what they use.  It is possible the one that was installed may not have been greased from the manufacturer.

rob

1 hour ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Curious if grease will help with needle on console from jumping back and forth under 40 mph?

Pull the speedometer cable out and spin The cable at the transmission end by hand or slowly in a variable speed drill. See if the end of the cable that goes into the speedometer if it rotates true or if it wobbles. Mine wobbled after tweaking the cable a little bit it started to spin true and when I installed it no more speedometer bouncing.

John S

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, John S said:

Pull the speedometer cable out and spin The cable at the transmission end by hand or slowly in a variable speed drill. See if the end of the cable that goes into the speedometer if it rotates true or if it wobbles. Mine wobbled after tweaking the cable a little bit it started to spin true and when I installed it no more speedometer bouncing.

John S

Anti-clockwise with the drill, so I read :)

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever come up with a definitive resolution to this? I need to replace the speedo cable on my 70 SB350/Turbo 350 and I see conflicting information. According to @1970mcss, the cable should be 64" but I can't find a cable that length anywhere. Even the OPGI cable is 78". If I use a longer cable, where does the extra length become a problem? Any tricks or install tips?