clutch turbo 400

Grant MacPherson

Has anyone used a clutch turbo?????????? I have been sitting on one for 30+ years and was thinking why not put in my 70 SS and have some fun! I am going to do a gear change from stock 2:56 to a 3:42 and while the drive shaft is off why not pull the trans. ( that justifies it, right? ) Not planning on selling the car anytime soon so as long as I keep the parts shouldn't hurt the value.  Any and all thoughts, don't hold back!!!!

The poor mans lenco. Is it a B&M or a Fairbanks? Most had a cooler delete going so you might want to consider changing the circuit back and running the fluid to a radiator cooler to keep the fluid at operating temperature. You can launch at any rpm the tires can take, chances are the trans input shaft won't take as much as the tires, the clutches were usually solid hub so no cushion there. If the trans is set up with any shift harder than a Fleetwood Cadillac you will feel everyone of them since there is no cushioning by the converter, rude actually when just cruising. Kind of need to shift like a clutch less manual (which in some ways it is) with rev matching up and down. Hopefully it also has a lower first gear or the 3:42 might not be enough gear. But it does sound fun. Not sure if Jake's performance still does these or not but he might be a source of input shafts when yours breaks.

rotin

Oh and be careful with a build that is from 30 years ago there might not be any engine braking when you let off the gas. Is it a reverse pattern valve body? If that is the case you should only down shift while not moving or parts may come out of the case. Newer reverse patterns have the option of retained engine braking so you could change that out.

rotin

thanks for the info. I don't think it has a reverse pattern. It is the B&M version built by a trany expert I know. I checked with him a few years back when I was throwing out extra parts to know if I should keep any parts and he said he built it with the best of the best and I would break a lot of parts long before the trans broke. Never thought to ask about engine breaking, might have to call him and get some more info, re read the maual might help as well. thanks again and let me know if anything else comes to mind.

• 1 year later...

Could be a retirement cruise out to pick that baby up and off your hands. If I'm going Nostalgia Drag Racing I could definitely use it. I'm probably just going to do exhibition style at this point. Clutched Automatic, sounds like fun !! I'm going to do some traveling around and check out as many nostalgia races next year that I can and get a good look at it all before I decide which way to go,always liked front engine dragster or straight axle style cars. Batam roadster is also in the mix.gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2589.jpg