coil springs

sendo

does anyone have the part numbers for coil spring close to stock? did a search and see posting for specs but when I go online I find moog-6330 https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-6330

and speedway https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Big-Block-Front-Coil-Springs-1964-72-GM-A-Body-,112747.html

what are you guys using for stock height ?

thanks, Sendo

Sendo,

I also went with the Moog 6330 when I refreshed the front suspension of a '70 SS I used to own.  There is a good reason that is a popular replacement spring for first gen Montes and that is it has a pre-load of 1700 pounds which is very close to the two heaviest springs (out of 10 available) used in the '70 Monte Carlo assembly.  The 6330 will work well for big block and/or heavily optioned first gens with stock-like front end height and ride characteristics.

For front end height, the most important spring characteristic is its preload value which is simply its Free Height less the 11.7" Working Height (std for all first gens) times its Spring Rate.  For the 6330 that is (17.5" - 11.7") x 293 lbs/in = 1700 lbs of preload.  The preload for the heaviest stock spring (code GD) is 1780 lbs and the second heaviest (GQ) is 1760 lbs.  For the '71 Monte the highest preload was for spring AK at 1830 lbs.  The maximum spring rate for both years was 275 lbs/in.

Now, compare the Moog 6330 to the other "Big Block" spring from Speedway Motors (in your link above) and you will see it has a preload of 2060 lbs (18" - 11.7") x 327 lbs/in = 2060 lbs). That spring will cause the front end to sit a bit higher because you will have 360 lbs of additional preload on both front wheels.  It will also have a bit firmer ride because the spring rate is 34 lbs/in greater (327 - 293 = 34).  Unless you want to raise the front end and/or have a firmer ride, the 6330 may be a better choice. JMO.

BTW, if you have a Build Sheet for your Monte, the original factory spring code will be shown in one of the boxes (it is Box 13 on a '70 Build Sheet).  You can look that code up in the chart below and know the specs for the spring originally installed in your car.  Note that the preload figure for each spring is given in the far right hand column of that table. Good luck with your new spring choice.

FGMC Spring Specs.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Wasn't there a front top spring insulator,  I seem to remember taping them to top of the front springs when replacing them. Maybe was something other than a body's but I seem to remember them on a body's too. It's been a while since I've done any.

I don't know about other A bodies, but there is no spring insulator for the front spring shown in the '70 Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Manual.  I have rebuilt the front suspension of two '70s and neither had any insulators. 

The top of the front coil must rest firmly against the bottom of the frame and be correctly positioned over the locator tab that protrudes down from the frame.  The bottom of the front coil must be correctly indexed so the end of the spring is seated at/over one of the two holes in the lower A arm, leaving the other hole completely open for drainage.  Both of those are shown and called out in the Assembly Manual.

• Like 1

should I accept these?

the description say  

Moog Replacement Coil Springs

Coil springs play a leading role in your driving comfort and safety. Working together with your shocks, these suspension components provide needed support and stability over bumpy surfaces and around sharp corners. Moog coil springs are some of the finest replacements available when you notice a decline in handling and braking efficiency. They're constructed from high-quality steel and coated with a black, vinyl, or powdercoat finish to resist rust and corrosion. Moog offers hundreds of sizes and styles to fit a full spectrum of cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs--both front and rear.

looks like the coating is gone, dont know what coating they used but its in the box and not on the spring

springs.jpg

That is most likely a result of the wonderful delivery folks tossing around the box. Give them a quick scuff and a quick coat of paint. If you send the back and get a new set, you probably get the same results. The actual product quality  is unaffected as you know. 

• Like 1

Sendo,

I can appreciate your disappointment regarding the surface condition of your new Moog 6330 front coils - looks like they have seen a transcontinental shipment or two.  I would be steamed, also.  The pair I got were in much better condition (fortunately), yet they were a bit scratched up by the internal spring compressors before I got them installed (see photos below).  Seems that black powder coating is not so durable.

Of course, any spring will eventually get covered with road grime if you do much driving so I didn't worry about it.  I was surprised to learn that the springs I replaced (see photo) were also Moog 6330 because that number was stamped on each spring.  I had already ordered the new ones or I might have just stripped and repainted the pair I took out.

I agree with Dennis, they should be fine functionally and they are easy to spray paint. I sprayed my original front coils red on my 4-speed and the original rear coils gold as neither set needed to be replaced.

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 195.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 217.JPG

'70 SS Front End Rebuild 026.JPG

PB020323.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of powder coating anything exposed to the elements,  I've had a fisher and a western plow blades in the past both powder coated and it peeled off. I took the grinder to them and brushed them with an oil based enamel they lasted well for several more years. Just spray them what ever color you want. Like stated above they are gonna get scratched up anyhow putting them in. Just make sure the bottoms are indexed properly in the lower arm.

• Like 1

I can attest to Dtret’s statement regarding delivery people. When I was much younger and much more ignorant, I worked at UPS for a summer unloading trucks. At the time, they expected unloaders to average 1200 parcels an hour. Was wonderful when you opened the door to your trailer to find boxes of nice, light artificial Christmas trees to throw onto the rollers and up the conveyor belts. Not so nice when you’d clear that trailer then open the flaps to the drop floor only to discover the belly was loaded with 110 pound cheapo starter weightlifting kits. Management would even come around with a timer every so often to see if you were pulling your weight. The point I’m trying to make?  Pretty much NOTHING gets treated gingerly at places like UPS, Amazon, FedEx etcetera. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

im thinking the packaging at the plant is woefully inadequate...   who puts 2 springs in a large box left to roll around without so much a cardboard paper wrap-  most of the time if things are packed properly they survive the trip without a scratch...