Anyone ever work on this hood part?

Brew

Catch, spring...I don’t know what it’s called officially.

I’m looking to break this down, clean it up, powder coat or paint & reuse it. 

I don’t think the spring pushes the hood up far enough when latch is released. has anyone dealt with that issue? I know it has a straight slot adjustment & I’ll try that. Just looking for any do’s or don’ts folks might be aware of. Thanks

7B822619-EEB8-4D01-A970-4535631F0F74.jpeg

Seems to be a lot of threads sticking up the top. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted, listen jam nut and turn with a large screwdriver retirement jam nut while holding it. Here's the one off my spare hood and the one on my car. Mine probably needs to be adjusted too.

20210814_134611.jpg

20210814_134737.jpg

Hey, Brew,

I had the same issue on my '70 SS several years ago.  I knew better than to mess with the hood hinges (heard too many horror stories) so I went to my large assortment of spare coil springs and selected one that just fit over the bolt and was long enough and strong enough to become a "helper" spring.  Once I added it to the assembly, the hood popped up far enough that I could get my fingers under the lip to open it.  It's a simple mod and hardly noticeable once it is in place.

P7170670.JPG

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Hey, Brew,

I had the same issue on my '70 SS several years ago.  I knew better than to mess with the hood hinges (heard too many horror stories) so I went to my large assortment of spare coil springs and selected one that just fit over the bolt and was long enough and strong enough to become a "helper" spring.  Once I added it to the assembly, the hood popped up far enough that I could get my fingers under the lip to open it.  It's a simple mod and hardly noticeable once it is in place.

P7170670.JPG

Great idea I love it, think that's what mine needs. Now to find a spring that works.

2 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I know no pictures didn't happen,  here you go 

20210815_172444.jpg

Isn’t that supposed to be dark grey phosphate. You put the picture out there. Lol. Sometimes that’s why I don’t post pics. I don’t want to do it again. Lol. 

On 8/14/2021 at 4:03 PM, MCfan said:

Hey, Brew,

P7170670.JPG

Dennis a million thank yous for that tip, mine works great now. I had the extra one I have apart already so I went to hardware store found the right spring and put it back together tonight adjusted it and it's never worked this well. That's why I love the place and everyone here. My hood barley opened when I pulled hood release and when closing it I had to pull the release out to get hood closed, now it pops up enough and I can just drop the hood to close it. It's like day and night.this is all it popped up before and then after. Took a little adjusting to get it perfect but it's great now.

20210816_185200.jpg

20210816_185924.jpg

• Like 3

You're welcome, Steve, good to hear it worked for you, also!

This is a great site for sharing fixes, tips and techniques.  I've picked up quite a few from others myself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MCfan said:

You're welcome, Steve, good to hear it worked for you, also!

This is a great site for sharing fixes, tips and techniques.  I've picked up quite a few from others myself.

Dennis, any idea what the dimensions are on that spring?? It would be nice to pickup a spring before the part rebuild. 

14 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

Dennis, any idea what the dimensions are on that spring?? It would be nice to pickup a spring before the part rebuild. 

Sorry, Paul, I don't know and I sold my SS a couple years ago so I can't check.  Maybe Steve (cny first gen 71) can answer your question as he just bought a spring from a hardware store that worked well for him.

2 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Sorry, Paul, I don't know and I sold my SS a couple years ago so I can't check.  Maybe Steve (cny first gen 71) can answer your question as he just bought a spring from a hardware store that worked well for him.

Actually I can't answer that question I didn't measure it, if they get more in at the store I can get specs. The one I got was the only one they had, I  actually took it off display board.  I'll check back with them if they get more in stock the guy said he will order more.

That would be great, I could take it off now but I'm thinking this would be a good project when the white stuff flies. But then again I guess the car is off the road all winter so I would have plenty of time. 

That would be great, I could take it off now but I'm thinking this would be a good project when the white stuff flies. But then again I guess the car is off the road all winter so I would have plenty of time. 

18 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Don’t be bringing the “white stuff “ into the conversation yet. Way to early 

I agree, but I am setting up some work for the Monte. I don't want to tear it apart while the weather is good

35 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I agree, but I am setting up some work for the Monte. I don't want to tear it apart while the weather is good

I fully understand. I’m making after fall plans for the car also. Summer is just going by to quick. I don’t want the cold 😂😂😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I stopped back at the hardware store, here is the display board I got the spring from. As you can see I took it off display board. It is #54 they will be getting more in but anyone that sells this brand should have them. Hope this helps.

20210818_145754.jpg

Let the search begin, thanks

• Like 1