Gasoline octane

I have a '70 SS454 which I have owned for a little less than a year.  I have been using 93 octane gasoline with 10% ethanol.  It seems to work fine...no pinging.  One station in my area has 90 octane with NO ethanol.  I would appreciate suggestions as to which gas would be best to use.  Thanks!

56 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

I really have no choice , it's 112 for me .

Runs fine and sure does smell good ! 

Diesel in the Ram  and no ethanol in everything else .

Wait ram??? You got a new truck? It's been way to long since I've seen you Mike!

I run the 93 Sunoco Ultra in the high perf cars. When I modded the ZR1 & CTS-V, I asked the tuner that very question. He preferred the higher octane value over the lower value non-eth gas. With the higher compression ratio in the 454 LS6 in my monte, I opted for the 93 as well. In the case of a stock LS5 in a SS 454, I'd probably go with the non-eth and maybe see of it ping'd. If so, then I'd go with the 93.

As the others stated, I do use the non-eth in all the small engines like the lawn mower, pressure washer, chain saw, weed whacker, etc. 

14 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Wait ram??? You got a new truck? It's been way to long since I've seen you Mike!

Sure did , love the big Ram (unbelievable factory torque ) leveled it and installed a set of 37 x 12.5 x 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

I agree, it's been way to long seeing you.

Ann and I look forward to our return  to the show world  , it may be a little while .

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends what your engine requires. I run the highest octane available regardless of ethanol content. (nitrous motor) If your engine doesn't require the octane, go with no ethanol. It keeps the fuel system cleaner. The ethanol, depending on the content, can eat rubber hoses making them soft and also corrodes the inside of the carburetor. It doesn't store very well either, even with sta-bil added in. I drain the tank before winter.

3 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Without no ethanol fuel nearby, I run on 87 without any issue.  Is that not a good choice?

You have to do what you gotta do. I wouldn’t leave it set for an extended period of time without running. 87 is not going to hurt the engine,it’s what happens when you leave them set. I start my 88 and 70 every few months and just let them run to warm up. God forbid I actually drive them. Lol. 

I do the same, every 2 to 3 weeks everyone gets started and runs till its full temp, I only use 93, thats all i can get. Yes Dennis God forbid we drive them!!

I usually run 93 in my 20 over 350 with roller cam and roller lifters. It runs better on the 93 and starts a whole lot easier and every oncee in a while I put a can of seafoam in the tank especially if it going to set for more than two weeks

4 hours ago, Leghome said:

I usually run 93 in my 20 over 350 with roller cam and roller lifters. It runs better on the 93 and starts a whole lot easier and every oncee in a while I put a can of seafoam in the tank especially if it going to set for more than two weeks

Seafoam is awesome stuff 

I run 87 and never add anything to the gas on my all stock 71 350 4 bbl. with 164,000 miles.

My garage smells like gasoline on a hot day after I drive and then park it. Gone by the next day.

After sitting for a week it takes a lot of cranking to fill the fuel bowl and then it starts fine, but no other issues.