Re-chrome Grille (suggestions for chrome plating companies)

TheBMan

I want to get my grill re-chromed/refinished. As you know, the grilles on the 72 have black insets and black trim, which complicates the chroming process. I've reached out to a few chrome platers but haven't gotten any response. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for companies that are capable of doing this job?

Thanks!

grille-4-square-before.jpg

• Like 1

Paul's Chrome Plating Evans City Pa 724-538-3367

Advanced plating Portland Tenn 

Contact Tom Sullivan  615-227-6900

Both of these companies work are showcased on many of the Riddler award contenders. 

High end comes with a price tag

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

Paul's Chrome Plating Evans City Pa 724-538-3367

Advanced plating Portland Tenn 

Contact Tom Sullivan  615-227-6900

Both of these companies work are showcased on many of the Riddler award contenders. 

High end comes with a price tag

Thanks @Michael Boyte. Paul's is one of the companies I've contacted already, waiting for a response. I'll reach out to Tom today. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

I want to get my grill re-chromed/refinished. As you know, the grilles on the 72 have black insets and black trim, which complicates the chroming process. I've reached out to a few chrome platers but haven't gotten any response. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions for companies that are capable of doing this job?

Thanks!

grille-4-square-before.jpg

Actually I think the black insert part was originally Argent silver , anyone else know for sure. I know I've seen both.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Actually I think the black insert part was originally Argent silver , anyone else know for sure. I know I've seen both.

I'd like to know that information, too!

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I think I’d pay the price. I’ve got two hours in cleaning with a dremel and a polishing pad and I think it’s getting worse. Lol. 

One quote of $2000 to $2500 so far. You're a brave man, I do a lot of stuff myself but I don't think this will be one of them!

2 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

One quote of $2000 to $2500 so far. You're a brave man, I do a lot of stuff myself but I don't think this will be one of them!

Try Leo Konnick. He sells a restored 71 grille for 1250. He may have a 72. Look a Joes post( jftz69? New guy) that crazy bast... restored his. Really impressed with how he did it. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Try Leo Konnick. He sells a restored 71 grille for 1250. He may have a 72. Look a Joes post( jftz69? New guy) that crazy bast... restored his. Really impressed with how he did it. 

Thanks @Dtret - thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I found the website and the 71 grille. I'll reach out about a 72.

@jft69z - you did yours yourself???

The only part that was black from the factory was the thin lines up the sides, across the top and around the park lights. The inside flat edges in all the holes were argent silver. The masking job to paint it correctly is a tedious process but the results are worth it.

26545675-1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo-std.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The only part that was black from the factory was the thin lines up the sides, across the top and around the park lights. The inside flat edges in all the holes were argent silver. The masking job to paint it correctly is a tedious process but the results are worth it.

26545675-1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo-std.

GREAT info!!!

15 hours ago, TheBMan said:

@jft69z - you did yours yourself???

I had Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, PA. re-chrome 2 grills for me. Ask for Chris, the owner. 814-899-1233

First I had to repair any pits that just couldn't be done at the chrome shop, used 'All Metal' filler and the paint stick/sand paper as shown to fill the low spots. I then masked off all 60 of the holes to paint the openings argent silver from the back side (used a manila file folder to make the rectangle fillers). Sprayed Satin Clear over the silver too, I think. After that, I masked off the area with the thin lines/around signal lights and painted that with Axalta Trim Black.

Yeah, it sucked. I still have the second grill to paint. Turns out that was in much better shape than the first grill (shown), but I acquired it after the first one was already getting done. I just wanted a spare. Eventually, I'll paint that one up & keep the first as the spare.

20201010_111820.jpg

20201010_132652.jpg

20201010_144144.jpg

20201010_180335.jpg

20201010_213027.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jft69z said:

I had Advanced Custom Chrome in Erie, PA. re-chrome 2 grills for me. Ask for Chris, the owner. 814-899-1233

First I had to repair any pits that just couldn't be done at the chrome shop, used 'All Metal' filler and the paint stick/sand paper as shown to fill the low spots. I then masked off all 60 of the holes to paint the openings argent silver from the back side (used a manila file folder to make the rectangle fillers). Sprayed Satin Clear over the silver too, I think. After that, I masked off the area with the thin lines/around signal lights and painted that with Axalta Trim Black.

Yeah, it sucked. I still have the second grill to paint still. Turns out that was in much better shape than the first grill (shown), but I acquired it after the first one was already getting done. I just wanted a spare. Eventually, I'll paint that one up & keep the first as the spare.

20201010_111820.jpg

20201010_132652.jpg

20201010_144144.jpg

20201010_180335.jpg

20201010_213027.jpg

@jft69z This looks great, Joe. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to do what you did - have someone chrome the grille and then do the detail work myself. I'll call Chris for sure. Thanks, man!

1 hour ago, TheBMan said:

@jft69z This looks great, Joe. Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to do what you did - have someone chrome the grille and then do the detail work myself. I'll call Chris for sure. Thanks, man!

You're welcome Bryan. Just a warning, it won't be cheap....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dtret said:

So has anyone done this to a 71 grille?  I’d like to see pictures of that so I know what I’m getting in to. 

The 71 is a little easier. The thin black stripe up the sides and across the top should be satin black. The grille area should be painted argent silver with leaving the front edge chrome. Then the vertical bars in the grille painted satin black.

87CE0BF4-A25E-45DA-A2FE-D423D2A1FBAD.jpeg

22DD9CC6-98BC-480F-99FA-4E1F6F320307.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I painted the fins on my grill black. I taped the front up and painted from the back, that's just the way I wanted it.

20210816_185200.jpg

I like the black, it matches

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jft69z said:

Yeah, it sucked. I still have the second grill to paint. Turns out that was in much better shape than the first grill (shown), but I acquired it after the first one was already getting done. I just wanted a spare. Eventually, I'll paint that one up & keep the first as the spare.

20201010_111820.jpg

20201010_132652.jpg

20201010_144144.jpg

20201010_180335.jpg

20201010_213027.jpg

Did he dip the grill and chrome the whole thing and then you did your detail work?  Or does he chrome the parts individually?

35 minutes ago, 70white402 said:

Did he dip the grill and chrome the whole thing and then you did your detail work?  Or does he chrome the parts individually?

He does the grill first, then I did the paint work. Not sure what you mean about individual parts, grill is one piece.