(2) Vacuum differences between 70 and 72 ...

Mike Brichta

I am aware of (2) different vacuum differences between the 70 model and the 72 model (maybe 71 also).  They are both AC cars.

First: The 70 year has a vacuum canister in the engine compartment while the 72 does not.

Second: The 70 year has a vacuum operated heater value while the 72 model does not.

Anyone know why they are different?  Just curious.  Are they even needed on the 70 since the appear to be absent on the 72?

Thanks!!
Mike

It's weird, because I'm certain that my 2nd '72 Custom that I got in the 80's had the round vacuum ball type canister mounted on the HVAC box. In fact, I picked one up for my present 72 Custom when I was gathering parts for the resto. The more I looked though, it seems like the 72's didn't come with it. I scoured the internet to look at boatloads of 72 engine compartments, none of them had it. I didn't use it on the present car and is just sitting in the basement if anyone needs one.

I actually used the HVAC box from the older Monte in the present one, as I removed it years ago when I put the 454 LS6 in that car and deleted the A/C. The holes to mount that canister are still in that box, further confirming that it was there years ago. When I got the car, it was completely stock with a 350/2bbl carb.

Three 72's at a car show this past Saturday in Elwood IN Ole Red, Midnight Bronze and a customized beauty. For some reason My computer or IPhone will not let me upload any photos so I am still working on getting the photos up. I know I will go to the IPad transfer to IPad and the n post them. First I have to go and get a stress test, Heart Echo and one other thingy done this morning.

One owner car 402 BBC with a turbo 400 and no AC. Midnight Bronze without the turbine hubcaps he had them at home he had black wheels with with the small hubcaps like my 68 Nova had on it. I know this is a true Custom Because he had a copy of the window sticker.

Also a radical customized 72 two tone silver, air bag suspension, four bucket seats with an overhead console from the windshield to the rear glass and another console from the dash to the rear deck. It is a super nice car well done and it still looks like a first gen. It took Steve 20 years to get it finished. He did more work on it the last five years than in the previous 15 after he retired. He did almost all of the work himself. The Midnight Bronze car is interested in becoming a member so I sent him a application, he belonged to a club years ago but he could not remember is it was this club or the NMCOA. Steve said he is not interested in becoming a member but I am still working on him. He belonged years but shows no interest.

Edited by Leghome
some miss information