Taking my 71SS to the next level....

LostnFound

Finished cutting and buffing tonight. Then we installed the panel and insulation behind the rear seat and installed the rear seat back. Next will be installation of ACC carpet with mass backing. We have an awl and soldering iron ready for the install of the carpet. :)

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

I understand the awl, is the soldering iron to burn the thread when you cut it?

Yes....was just told recently of this little trick. It supposedly cauterizes the edge of the hole so you get a nice round hole that won't frey.  It is the straight soldering iron you use and not the soldering gun type. 

Carpet install began last night and will continue tonight. An awl works well for locating holes and a straight soldering iron is perfect for making holes. It melts a nice round hole and cauterizes the edge so it won't frey etc. It is also fast and easy. 

MonteCarpetInstall.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/24/2021 at 10:05 PM, Jared Richey said:

How soon did you buff this car after it was painted? 

Hi Jared, I checked my photo dates.....it sat for a week before we started the cut and buff....final clear was sprayed June 23rd and cut and buff began June 30. It has five coats of a high quality clear on it. 

Update....all the seats, console, kick plates and seat belts are installed as well as the dimmer switch. I really took my time installing the carpet as I didn't want to make any wrong cuts etc. Next is to trim along the sills and install the NOS sill plates. She's a dusty old girl right now but I'll be doing a complete detail when everything is done. 

MonteSillPlates.jpg

MonteInterior.jpg

MonteFrontSeats.jpg

MonteBackSeat.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Looks great Larry, any chance we're going to see you at Carlisle next year. I know that's a long ride for you would like so see you there again!

Hi Steve and thank you. I'm not sure about the long trek to Carlisle but I would love to see a Michigan meet some day. 

43 minutes ago, LostnFound said:

Hi Steve and thank you. I'm not sure about the long trek to Carlisle but I would love to see a Michigan meet some day. 

I’m driving (hopefully) from Cincinnati to Carlisle. What do they say in the Adam Sandler movies. “You can do it”. Sorry I forgot your in Canada. That is a long drive. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LostnFound said:

Well you could always come to Syracuse in July for the Syracuse nationals,  hopefully have a mini meet there next year. Usually the long Island crew come up for that too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I’m driving (hopefully) from Cincinnati to Carlisle. What do they say in the Adam Sandler movies. “You can do it”. Sorry I forgot your in Canada. That is a long drive. 

Be positive Dennis your car WILL be done by then 🤞

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Be positive Dennis your car WILL be done by then 🤞

I actually am. My goal. New year Done car. Problem is then I can’t drive it. O I know that they are NEVER done. 

• Like 1

Update.....last night we trimmed the carpet at the sill plate area, installed the sill plates and the rest of the seat belts. One slip with the utilty knife and I now have an ouchie! LOL Getting close to the finish line except like others have said "they're never truly finished" :)

Interior1.jpg

Interior2.jpg

Thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Love the electric tape ( car too by the way). I’m a fan of duct tape and paper towels. I know that you put nos sill plates on, my question is why don’t the nos sill plates have the rivits by the emblem?  Yours are not the only ones that I’ve seen this on. If they are on yours I apologize I can’t blow up the pictures and still get them clear. 

• Like 1