Taking my 71SS to the next level....

LostnFound

4 minutes ago, LostnFound said:

I'm not sure why Dennis. They were still sealed in the original GM wrappers. I'll take a closer look next time I'm working on the car early next week. 

Ok thanks. I was just curious. My brother has a set same way

• Like 1

So...just have a short list of small things to do next week. Then we do a full cleaning and detailing of the car. I have a new ACC trunk mat to install and I have original black floor mats that are still in good condition. It's a pretty time of year here in Ontario so soon I'll take some Fall photos of her, drive her a few times before Nov 1 and store it until next year. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, LostnFound said:

Hi Jared, I checked my photo dates.....it sat for a week before we started the cut and buff....final clear was sprayed June 23rd and cut and buff began June 30. It has five coats of a high quality clear on it. 

Keep an eye on it don't be surprised or worried if it loses some depth once it's out in the sun. I had to hit mine again with 2k and 2500 to take out the Pixelation to bring back the perfect mirror finish, I waited a year so it was fully cured on the 2nd cut. Black just shows it more.

Also some compounds make it worse like 3M by trapping solvents. (Petroleum based garbage) I started using CSI a water based formula definitely made a difference but still pixels if it's cut and buffed soon after paint  

I started sending the Cars home to be finished to come back for cut and buff. I'll cut it with the first grit and let it be,  this will allow the Clear to cure.

Hard to do if if customer is our of state. I'll just warn them to expect some pixels most people especially on colors not black won't notice it all.  I see everything 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LostnFound said:

Thanks Guys. I looked for the original floor mats this weekend and could only find the rears. I do have some reproduction mats and may use those. 

Looking forward to driving the old girl again! :)

Don’t sweat it. You’ll find them. 

9 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

Keep an eye on it don't be surprised or worried if it loses some depth once it's out in the sun. I had to hit mine again with 2k and 2500 to take out the Pixelation to bring back the perfect mirror finish, I waited a year so it was fully cured on the 2nd cut. Black just shows it more.

Also some compounds make it worse like 3M by trapping solvents. (Petroleum based garbage) I started using CSI a water based formula definitely made a difference but still pixels if it's cut and buffed soon after paint  

I started sending the Cars home to be finished to come back for cut and buff. I'll cut it with the first grit and let it be,  this will allow the Clear to cure.

Hard to do if if customer is our of state. I'll just warn them to expect some pixels most people especially on colors not black won't notice it all.  I see everything 

Thanks Jared and that totally makes sense. I think what you call pixels some people also call orange peel? I do still have some cutting and buffing left to do but it is quite presentable as it is. I'll wait until Spring/Summer of 2022 to finish it off. It does take many hours and lots of patience to get the mirror finish on a dark colour car for sure. I'm not looking for perfection but I'll get it as nice as I can. Near corners and edges I do still have some pixels as we're being extra careful in those areas to not cut through the clear. 

Love it!!!!!!!!!

I see your chrome horizontal bars are red! I don't remember mine (not an SS) being red ever but perhaps the paint came off. So black body painted Monte SS didn't get the lower gloss black in that area?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stangeba said:

Love it!!!!!!!!!

I see your chrome horizontal bars are red! I don't remember mine (not an SS) being red ever but perhaps the paint came off. So black body painted Monte SS didn't get the lower gloss black in that area?

Hi Bruce, the tail light bezels were NOS fresh right out of very old boxes. The black SS's had the tail panels painted gloss black like the rest of the car. Here's a pic of my car when my late Uncle Ron had it and it still had original paint

RonsMonteCirca1972.jpg

• Like 2