body mounts

Jason72

I have a 1970 in my garage for some routine maintenance and I noticed the  body mounts in the front under the radiator support are about 4-5 inches thick between the frame and rad support. I thought it looked odd so i looked at my 1972. Mine are only 1 1/2-2 inches thick. The body lines up nice on the 70 but I suspect the front frame horns may be bent down. Any ideas?

When I put mine back together recently I had to put about 4 fender washers a side on the core mounts to get everything lined up correctly. How do your fenders, extensions, hood & door lines look? Everything line up good? 

Order a new set of bushings from inline tube and install them correctly. That’s not right. Wow. I have a name for people that do stuff like that and it’s not ‘mechanic’. 

All others look right. I don’t want to mess with them because I’m not getting involved in trying to realign the front clip. The rad support will go down 2 inches if I replace them. He needs suspension bushings and I’m concerned if the alignment will be able to be done afterwards. I was thinking of taking it to an alignment shop first to see how far out of wack is is now before I do anything. 

mainly I was asking if anyone has seen the front horns bend down on these cars for some reason (collision) or another…

I'd check the alignment first,  who knows what can happen to these cars over the years and for whatever reason they are in there like that. I assume it's a customer car brought in for service. You may want to tell them about it maybe they know why it's that way.

• 2 months later...

Update: Sent car for alignment. Was all good. Showed the owner the mounts and explained the issue. Told owner I wasn't getting involved with aligning the body so take it to a body shop. He was happy with that and took the car.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jason72 said:

Update: Sent car for alignment. Was all good. Showed the owner the mounts and explained the issue. Told owner I wasn't getting involved with aligning the body so take it to a body shop. He was happy with that and took the car.

Very smart of you to NOT get involved in that messy can o worms!

Customer took the car....PHEW!!

All GOOD!

Jeff 1970 SS454 Black