Barn find 1970

Everything is for sale I guess. If the money is right. If someone were really serious I can give him your number. But I’m not posting it to sell it. Just found it interesting. There can’t have been too many made like that. 

That’s a nice snag. Definitely going to be a lot of work but it’s a heck of a good start. Strange it doesn’t have a tach being a 4 speed( at least it doesn’t look like it does). 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

That’s a nice snag. Definitely going to be a lot of work but it’s a heck of a good start. Strange it doesn’t have a tach being a 4 speed( at least it doesn’t look like it does). 

It is strange but I guess it could be ordered that way since the gauge package was a separate option.

My '70 402 4-speed was a low option car without gauges, power steering, A/C or any other power options (see Build Sheet below). 

Fortunately, it had all the good stuff: Big Block, 4-speed, 3.31 posi, buckets, console, running/driving, 50K miles and was in reasonably good condition.   It was apparently configured to drag main street and not much else.  The drive train is original but the motor was heavily modified in '74 (all of the speed shop receipts came with the car). 

Fortunately, it had been well cared for and a high-school kid bought it in the late '80s (for $600) and stored it in his dad's garage for the next 20 years as an investment.  In 2009, when that young man (now married) needed a down payment for a new home, he put his Monte on the market and I just happened to be looking for one.  I bought it for $16,500 sight-unseen and had it shipped from Scranton, PA to SW Florida in early 2010.

Of course it now has factory power steering, Classic Auto Air, factory power windows and door locks, power seat back releases, power trunk release, keyless entry, new paint, new carpet, new wheels/tires, stereo radio, new exhaust system, new carb, airlift, bumper guards, suspension rebuild, etc. but the basic bones were there to build on. 

This barn find is one of 589 built in '70 and has the same potential but is in much rougher condition to start with. Hopefully, someone will have the time, skill, patience and money to bring this one back to life.

P2154866.JPG

16_13.JPG

• Like 1