MECUM AUCTION

21 minutes ago, KWick_70MC said:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LN1021-467527/1970-chevrolet-monte-carlo/

I am interested but appears to be some things wrong with it.

wanted my FGMCC brethren to weigh in on thoughts. 

I agree, there seems to be some issues.  Says fresh restoration but seats seem to be heavily stained and engine compartment seems to be an armature detailing at best.  Also not near enough information or detailed pictures.

rob

Kevin, The Air Tank looks too short as if its out of a 69 Caddy..... Also where are the SS exhaust extention tips to start with, would like to see a buildsheet too. going to website and looking more... will be back

Darren

Yes no extra info on site, but seeing that buildsheet is a must.... haha the Fake ss454 4spd they have as well for sale looks just as nice as this and we all know a 454 4spd is super duper rare lol...... Mecum seems to sell a lot of recreation vehicles and one off's and knock off's as of late so buyer beware for sure.

Darren

I see a lot of strange/incorrect items for those that want a factory correct SS454 but here are a few highlights.

- The SS454 badges are too far back on that lower trim. This makes me question whether it is an SS.

- The air tank is definitely incorrect. Also has the wrong inner fenders if you are picky about factory stuff.

- Missing correct SS454 exhaust tips

- I'm not sure what that bolt on the to of the radiator hold down plate is doing.

- Some things are correct for an SS454. Correct air cleaner, fan shroud, black steering wheel, correct radiator hold down plate, etc.

- Overall condition a nice driver (faded carpet on door panels, stains on the seat, faded grille badge, etc)

More info is needed to prove it is an SS454.

Someone really likes Armor All!

Says it has the build sheet, but no picture of it. Appears to have the rear shock protector plates, but an easy bolt on if it was a fake.

Having been to one or two Mecum/BJ auctions 🤣 I'll just state the obvious. Sometimes the pictures or shown on TV hide flaws (besides things that have been mentioned). Last "fresh restoration" Monte I saw already had rust bubbling up under the new paint. You or someone you trust has to lay hands/eyes on the car. 

And unless I missed it, the auction doesn't specify its an SS , ( which I would assume would attract more buyers) so maybe the seller hasn't provided the build sheet or supporting documentation. 

Until Now you never worried about a Fake SS Monte Carlo but when cars start bringing big $$, fakes will abound.

Just around the corner is SS cars popping up everywhere like Chevelles.