Wiring harness

Bass72

I’m not sure how to find previous discussions about this yet. I’m sure this has been talked about plenty of times but I’m in need of a complete re-wiring. I drove my Monte to a mechanic shop and I got a call about an hour later saying that some of the wires and fuses are fried and they aren’t able to start it… I know that I’m going to have to spend about $700 for the wiring harness. From previous experience is this a job a novice could complete? Should I gut the whole interior to do this job? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you 

Like Dennis asked, how did the car go from a driver to their shop, to fried?

That being said, this is where you're at now so something needs to be done. It depends on how bad the rest of the wiring on the car is to some degree. If it's all a rats nest of prior people butchering the wiring, replace it all. Even if the back half is still serviceable, it's still 50 years old and I would replace it anyways at this point.

As far as capabilities to doing the actual work, there are some options. American Auto Wire makes a complete harness called their 'Classic Update' series. That includes newer style fuses and requires the installer to terminate a lot of the wire connections. This requires special tools to get a good crimp, but is not difficult. If you want an exact plug & play harness that exactly replicates what the factory has, they make those too, as well as M & H. Basically comes down to what you feel you can do, and if you have future plans to add things, etc. If you're going to add EFI, stereo, accessories, etc. the Classic Update harness is definitely the way to go.

Pulling the interior would make it easier, especially if you're going to re-wire under the dash, etc. Makes for a lot more room when you are crawling around, plus it'll be easier to get the rear harness assembly to the back of the car. That is run under the carpet below the front & rear seats to the trunk.

There are several harnesses that make up the entire wiring system in the car. They will be different depending on the year of the car and options that the car has. Maybe not all of the wires/harnesses are bad.

If it were me, I would want much more detail about the problem before deciding what to do. What harness or wires are "fried"? What does the mechanic mean by "they aren't able to start it"? I've dealt with many wire harness but would need more detail to be able to help.

Could be just the engine harness that needs immediate replacement. If you dont get those wires routed properly to the starter you will get melted wires and a car wont start. If I had to guess that is the most likely place for fried wires and because of the age of the car mechanic shops arent likely to have a vendor to supply the parts. 

But yeah, you will need more info from the shop. Have them show you what is fried. Exact replacement harnesses are available and the easiest one to swap is the engine harness. 

Welcome Larry!!!!           Been there done that. I have done both. But as others said start with the engine harness. I have fixed and i bought new. Depends on what you want to spend and how much time you have.  My 2 cents is replace the engine harness first. The dash harness is alot more money so be aware. However if you can replace all of them so you have a piece of mind.

Good Luck