Possibly need a rear

willie

As you know my Custom is stock and i would like to keep it that way if possible. I had someone look at it and he said it was the pinion. Said he couldnt get what i have "stock" so i will have to put something else in. I am not sure what to do, so i am asking you guys. I would like to keep the housing as it is original to the car. The mechanic says the housing is fine. So i just need the pinion and gears. Its a 3:31 posi. On the other hand i have a 12 bolt rear in "stock" (LOL) should i buy a set of gears and install in the in "stock" rear and then install that set of gears in my cars rear?   Maybe someone has a set of stock gears they are willing to sell?    All info welcome

Tkx Willie

As long as the housing stays with the car, replacing the ring and pinion with something aftermarket would be considered maintenance. Anyone combing over the car for original parts is never going to know you replaced the pinion. Don't go cheap on the rear end parts, get good stuff from a company like Moser or Strange Engineering. It's one of those jobs you don't want to do twice.

Willie, what's the problem? The pinion gear has a broken tooth? Bearings bad? 

Upgrade? 

I have 3.31s in barn find and Big red with Eaton trutracs. The 3.31s in barn find are original GM gears and aftermarket in Big Red. I purchased a kit, gears, bearings, install kit and trutrac off of Amazon or ebay. Lol I could research more if you like. 

If it's bearings, just change them. EZ PZ. Im pretty sure I have a set of 3.31 GM 12 bolt gears somewhere. 🤔

• Like 2

I agree just put a “ rebuild kit “ in your original housing. I wouldn’t take two rearends to make one. Them bearings are 50 years old. Replace. If it is a pinion tooth and not a bearing,Tom may have one with the gear set because they are changed at the same time anyway. 

• Like 1

My 3:42 10 bolt is up for trade if anyone needs a 10 bolt. I'm going to 4:10 gears and would have to do some upgrades to it.rather start with a 12 bolt. That way it's my start to a Custom.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg By the way it's posi-traction 10 bolt!

Edited by 420ponies
Added content

3 hours ago, 420ponies said:

My 3:42 10 bolt is up for trade if anyone needs a 10 bolt. I'm going to 4:10 gears and would have to do some upgrades to it.rather start with a 12 bolt. That way it's my start to a Custom.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg By the way it's posi-traction 10 bolt!

Now you got me thinking Jim I'm not really making big horsepower and a 10 bolt is probably enough and I have a 12 bolt sitting waiting for something to do with 🤔

What's not alot of horsepower? They used 12 bolts in 300hp small blocks up to 450hp big blocks. 

The 70 and 71 402 cars had 330 and 300 hp with 12 bolts. 

All SS cars had 12 bolts. 

The only 10 bolt I would consider is an 8.5. Way more in parts selection than the 8.2 and just as strong as a 12 bolt, the 8.5. 

Remember the 12 bolt ring diameter is 8.75ish and the 8.5 is, well, 8.5. lolol