Steering Gear box

Dtret

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I've changed the seals in the past too. Not too bad from what I remember. Worth a try.

Obviously I would rather not have to take it off, but if I have to now is the time. Is it doable on the frame or should I pull it?

35 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Obviously I would rather not have to take it off, but if I have to now is the time. Is it doable on the frame or should I pull it?

I've done them in the vehicle before, and I've pulled them off. Easier on the bench, instead of looking at it upside down. Three frame bolts, 2 lines and the rag joint coupler and its out. Ten minutes of work so you don't have to screw around on your back, especially since everything is out in the open right now....I know what I would do.

9 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I did mine on the van but it was up in the air on a lift. But you should be able to do it on the ground, I changed Pittman arms before on the ground. You'll need a Pittman arm puller.

The tools I have. The desire to do it is questionable. Lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

The tools I have. The desire to do it is questionable. Lol. 

I know that feeling well, lol.

I would take this opportunity to change it to a Jeep Grand Cherokee box. Better feel and dirt cheap, still could have the leak though. You will need a new rag joint and some metric hoses or adaptors other than that it is a direct fit and looks the same. Lots of information on A-body sites to do the swap. Very easy and worth doing compared to the no feel variable ratio box that is stock.

rotin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotinrob said:

I would take this opportunity to change it to a Jeep Grand Cherokee box. Better feel and dirt cheap, still could have the leak though. You will need a new rag joint and some metric hoses or adaptors other than that it is a direct fit and looks the same. Lots of information on A-body sites to do the swap. Very easy and worth doing compared to the no feel variable ratio box that is stock.

rotin

Tons of these steering boxes at Pick n Pull. Seams they all got retired at the same time. lol

Just be sure to check the code on the component body to make sure you get the 12.7 to 1 model. ;)

I found that tube compression fittings worked well to hook the lines up without taking everything apart. 

The internal stops are wrong is those boxes so you might not like your steering radius. They can be changed but why when the JGC box has the proper stops (well close enough anyway). The TA WS6 box has the best internals as does the IROC box. I have a list somewhere of what T-bars and what stops are in the various boxes. Thing is if you are going to go this far as to custom building a box we would be having this discussion on another level, like how much fun it is to find all of the balls when they accidently hit the floor and how many do I need to find.

rotin

Edited by rotinrob

I think I’m going to stick with the stock box FOR NOW ( lol). See how bad it is to drive. I’ve never driven it so we will see. Also turns out it’s not the pitman shaft it’s the steering shaft leaking it was just dripping down. Seal kit will be here today (usps that’s funny). It’s already apart and ready to be done. I’m still waiting, come on post person 

23 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Now your ready for the next problem that pops up. Your getting pretty good at that kind of stuff 👍

It’s funny. Ya know it doesn’t even hurt when I get kicked anymore. I’m getting kind of used to it. Lol. Ya just gotta laugh it off and move on 

5 minutes ago, rotinrob said:

But how do you like that no feel steering box?

rotin

I don’t know. I don’t have a body or steering wheel. If I jack up the front I can turn the wheels by hand( would be easier if I started it and let the power steering help) I can turn the wheels and they feel ok.