1970 Bumper Jack questions

LDG3

A few questions about the bumper jack for 1970 Monte Carlo. 

What is the length of the shaft. I have seen some places it say it is longer than a Chevelle and other places saying it is the same.

Also, does anyone know what style was used for Los Angeles plant? Was it the solid "T"/"Y" type, or the hollow shaft style?

Thanks

Mine is hollow as well. 70 out of Van Nuys.  Also safely tucked away under the spare. I do know it has “70 Monte Carlo” stamped on it (or something along those lines), so it may very well be specific to the Monte Carlo and not Chevelle. If I remember I’ll grab a picture of it at a later time. 

Just for grins I went to see what the one that came with my '72 Custom had on it. Never payed attention to it before because it went straight to the basement. This is what it showed:

20210916_222004.jpg

My 71 built in Canada.

My spare has always been upside-down in the trunk. (White Wall down) I have seen some up, but my threaded hold down bolt is too short.. 

Jack1.jpg

7 minutes ago, stangeba said:

My 71 built in Canada.

My spare has always been upside-down in the trunk. (White Wall down) I have seen some up, but my threaded hold down bolt is too short.. 

Jack1.jpg

Bruce, if I am not mistaken I think all of them came from the factory with the white wall facing down with the same threaded hold-down and large wingnut.  I think many people, over the years found the longer thread clamp and for the sake of not damaging/staining the white wall they sued a longer one to flip their tire to white wall up position.

rob 

8 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Bruce, if I am not mistaken I think all of them came from the factory with the white wall facing down with the same threaded hold-down and large wingnut.  I think many people, over the years found the longer thread clamp and for the sake of not damaging/staining the white wall they sued a longer one to flip their tire to white wall up position.

rob 

That must be it because I have seen many mounted that way. After 50 years, I'm not changing it!

IMG_0649 (1).JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kpcsgasp said:

Where does one find the longer hold down rod?

If I recall correctly I had an issue with rod not being long enough but when I played with how tire & jack was installed it worked. But that’s been a long time ago. I’ll try to look at mine & see again

Steve i think thats pretty cool.  

Kevin i think any of the big suppliers carry them.  I just picked one up for my car at Carlisle because i was having a problem also because my car is a 72 and came with the jack cover and then i put a piece of material under that not to scratch up the trunk. I got it from Ausley's they happened to be the only vender there because of the virus.