Dynamat Under Back seat question

Brew

I’ve not used Dynamat so excuse my ignorance. 
Can I just stick it to the back rest & floor? I know original back rest insulation / deadener hung on those clips & is made of stuff that was on floor pan. It slid off backrest & crumbled in the paint booth heat cycle. 🤨

advice/ suggestions appreciated 

61D5AB02-9789-40E0-BEEC-DB6C7229F871.jpeg

I have dynamat in the back half of my car. Use the roller they have to get it into all corners and  hard to reach places. Been in since 2006 ,no problems. Keeps out the extra noises. I have not done the front half yet. Like it just the way it is.  post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Assuming you’re talking about the insulation 

E50CC97A-5C25-40C3-9FBF-22855B7FFD93.png

Dennis, from looking at the thread, I am thinking they are talking about the foil backed sound deadening material you can get that is foil backed sticky backed tar like material that people put on the floors and metal side panels.  If I am not mistaken Chevrolet mostly put a thick tar paper like substance between the metal floor boards and the carpet to deaden sound.  Maybe someone else will step up and give more input.

rob

Rob you may be correct. Mine originally stopped at the turn up and had the insulation behind the seat. Who knows what different plants did. Also mine could have been removed by the previous owner. So now I have to do more research to make mine correct. Back to slapping my head again. Lol. 

23C48EF2-19A2-43C5-867E-2B88AAA69E79.jpeg

56A4B916-0D13-4E0C-84F7-232443D4770E.jpeg

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Dennis, from looking at the thread, I am thinking they are talking about the foil backed sound deadening material you can get that is foil backed sticky backed tar like material that people put on the floors and metal side panels.  If I am not mistaken Chevrolet mostly put a thick tar paper like substance between the metal floor boards and the carpet to deaden sound.  Maybe someone else will step up and give more input.

rob

Correct. Looks like Dynamat is the way to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked into Dynamat through OPG. They sell a complete floor kit pre-cut for “easy assembly” that starts at the toe boards and stops at the backseat. The area under the rear seat and the quarter panels are a separate kit. 

My questions are:  how thick is the Dynamat? -  will it prohibit smooth installation of carpet with the extra padding/installation?  I know it’s supposed to be great at helping with sound deadening, but will it also help with heat transfer from the motor, trans and exhaust?

Asking because it looks like I may be able to get my girl into the upholstery shop as soon as my door panels arrive next month instead of waiting until spring. If it’s worth the investment, I will order it and have it installed with the rest of the interior. 

My carpeting with mass backing went over my Dynamat clone without any problem. It was the very same as Dynamat but about half the cost. Eastwood also sells a similar product that works well plus there are others. When I took the interior out of my 72 it had that bubble pack foil backed insulation under the carpet but did not do much. The floor was hot over the exhaust and the noise level was terrible. Now the floor is almost cool to bare feet and we had to have the radio set at 22 on the radio dial now we can have a normal conversation and the radio is only on the 9 to 11 setting according to what songs are playing the louder we set is for the songs we really like like the Doors Rider on the Storm, anything from Chicago plus a few others. 

23 minutes ago, Leghome said:

My carpeting with mass backing went over my Dynamat clone without any problem. It was the very same as Dynamat but about half the cost. Eastwood also sells a similar product that works well plus there are others. When I took the interior out of my 72 it had that bubble pack foil backed insulation under the carpet but did not do much. The floor was hot over the exhaust and the noise level was terrible. Now the floor is almost cool to bare feet and we had to have the radio set at 22 on the radio dial now we can have a normal conversation and the radio is only on the 9 to 11 setting according to what songs are playing the louder we set is for the songs we really like like the Doors Rider on the Storm, anything from Chicago plus a few others. 

You had me at driving barefoot🤣.  The Duke Brothers would be proud. 

All [censored] aside, thanks for your response. 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

My questions are:  how thick is the Dynamat? -  will it prohibit smooth installation of carpet with the extra padding/installation?  I know it’s supposed to be great at helping with sound deadening, but will it also help with heat transfer from the motor, trans and exhaust?

It's not real thick, maybe 1/8" or a little more. I used it with the 'mass backing' carpet with no issues on my Monte. I bought it in a bulk pack from Summit at the time, 36 sq ft box. It had 9 sheets, each 2'x2' and took me a couple of boxes, plus a little more out of a third box. The plan is to get another box or two when I do the Z/28 this winter.

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

It's not real thick, maybe 1/8" or a little more. I used it with the 'mass backing' carpet with no issues on my Monte. I bought it in a bulk pack from Summit at the time, 36 sq ft box. It had 9 sheets, each 2'x2' and took me a couple of boxes, plus a little more out of a third box. The plan is to get another box or two when I do the Z/28 this winter.

Look like the pile of parts is getting bigger. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Look like the pile of parts is getting bigger. Lol. 

The bill is getting larger, the parts pile seems to be delayed due to the world situation. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I understand totally. 

Turns out the UPS guy brought the American Auto Wire harness, a termination kit and MSD ignition wires a little bit ago! At least some of the stuff is in stock and shipping out.