Start Problems

Wraith

Monte Start Problems 

Need some advice …. My Monte on occasion does not start. No real pattern other than it happens out of no where. It has happened from a cold start and it’s happened when warm after stopping to get gas. Does not happen often. 

When this happens all dash lights come on. No sound or indication of car trying to turn over and start when trying to start it. Buddy tapped on the starter and afterwards she started and ran fine. It recently happened two days in a row. I got under the car and tapped on the starter and that did not work. Crazy but I decided to open and closed the drivers side door a few times. Did that and she started. Drove for about twenty-minutes shut the car off and when I started it up over an hour later it started right up. 

This is unpredictable when it happens. My starter is fairly new, my battery is good. Alternator is good. Suggestions?? 

70’ Monte 350 automatic transmission. 

Thanks!

My first choice would be starter, next time it happens try and short the posts on the starter, if you get nothing its the starter. Then I'd check the coil, both of theses are issues I had on intermittent starting issues in the past. Also double check your battery cables. 

Reminds me when my 71 did that and it was the starter "brushes" were worn out. A good "HIT" from a hammer is what got it working.

I recommend rebuilding your starter. I hate using some unknown starter (or anything) that someone rebuilt.

Never turn in your starter / Alternator IF you do get a rebuild unit, till the rebuilt has proven to be perfect, then turn it in.

I had the same problem a while back. I replaced the starter and it happened again. I also thought the battery was good but it was week. So I put a new battery and also replaced the cables and its been fine ever since. Maybe run a load test on the battery.....Good Luck

The next time it does it. Turn the key so you can move the  shifter from park to drive and back to park. Then try it. Also push on the the shifter handle  to make sure it all the way up and tight.