Returning Monte person

Delmonte72

Hello.

Just to reintroduce myself, I am Jon and I live in Florida, previous FGMCC member and attendee of 2002 Commerce GA event (I still have the trophy by the way :)

In about 6 weeks or so I shall once again be the proud owner of a 1972 Monte Carlo, as pictured. Funny part of this story is that about I sold my Monte (Pewter Silver with white vinyl roof, as seen in a couple of 2002 Commerce pics) to a fella in NC, 11 years later I ring him up and ask him if by any chance he might still have it.... No he says but I do have a Monte that I think you would like so we agree on a price and I tell him I can't pay him till end of October (IRA matures) and he says fine, I will hold it for you. He means it too, he says after the way I felt after I parted with my Monte he knows that his is going to a good home and will be cherished accordingly, which is true. He turns out to not be such a young fella and is down sizing, the Monte was not even up for sale but turns out my planets all aligned and wishes do come true.

20210314_173221_HDR.thumb.jpg.d5e4b68d0d930faf0e1d432ef100e115.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Delmonte72 said:

Hello.

Just to reintroduce myself, I am Jon and I live in Florida, previous FGMCC member and attendee of 2002 Commerce GA event (I still have the trophy by the way :)

In about 6 weeks or so I shall once again be the proud owner of a 1972 Monte Carlo, as pictured. Funny part of this story is that about I sold my Monte (Pewter Silver with white vinyl roof, as seen in a couple of 2002 Commerce pics) to a fella in NC, 11 years later I ring him up and ask him if by any chance he might still have it.... No he says but I do have a Monte that I think you would like so we agree on a price and I tell him I can't pay him till end of October (IRA matures) and he says fine, I will hold it for you. He means it too, he says after the way I felt after I parted with my Monte he knows that his is going to a good home and will be cherished accordingly, which is true. He turns out to not be such a young fella and is down sizing, the Monte was not even up for sale but turns out my planets all aligned and wishes do come true.

20210314_173221_HDR.thumb.jpg.d5e4b68d0d930faf0e1d432ef100e115.jpg

Nice looking ride

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome, I may already know some of yooz but alas I wouldn't remember who. I do have a couple more pics that Jim, the current owner, sent me. The basic history of the car is that it was bought by Jim some months after he bought mine, he said it was owned by 'their Mother' who only drove it to church and in 50 years has accumulated just 83 thousand+ miles, the A/C was changed out for 134, duel exhausts were put on, 2 barrel carb was switched out for a 4 barrel, the oil pump has been changed so has the water pump, valve seals were replaced, the AM radio has been switched for a retro radio with new stereo speakers in dash, the original skirts have been preserved plus the original wheels with white line tyre and 'flying saucer' hub caps (of which I am bringing home with me) Jim even has the original front and rear floor mats, the window sticker too. Though what brought a tear to my eye is when I was told that Jim had replaced the rear shelf speaker with one of my original Monte shelf speakers, so I shall be getting a piece of my original Monte back *choke*.  I asked him if the clock works and true to Monte tradition, it doesn't  <g>. Oh it has the original vinyl roof and the trunk mat looks like new apparently.

I've been told the speedo doesn't work after it was taken in because it was whining, it did for a while then ceased after repair, me thinks they may have lubed the inner cable wrong.

Anyway.... Thanks again for the warm fuzzy  :)

20210813_132939.thumb.jpg.fbe035973928c73d691923734e97bee7.jpg

20210813_133617.thumb.jpg.dd074f96344c48dc796b90899967e237.jpg20210813_133404.thumb.jpg.5f66317e213e83a134fe110a0262e55e.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

Very nice, you can clean the clock and get it running again. Dennis has a nice write up on the step by step. I have rebuilt two of them. They don't keep great time but that's ok. Good luck with the car.

I worked the clock out my old Monte, got it to work, loved the mechanics of it put it back into the dash and it worked for a while then stopped, started, stopped etc etc........ I'd like to see Dennis's write up, will search for it. Thanks Paul.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FrankOC said:

Right place, right time, congratulations on the purchase.

Yup, Jim the current owner thought at first I was a spammer but he later told me that something was compelling him to ring back my number, it's killing me having to wait till October 29th :)

24 minutes ago, Delmonte72 said:

I worked the clock out my old Monte, got it to work, loved the mechanics of it put it back into the dash and it worked for a while then stopped, started, stopped etc etc........ I'd like to see Dennis's write up, will search for it. Thanks Paul.

By the way that’s not me, (Dennis on the clock)I’m way to stupid to write up something like that. Lol.