Engine paint recommendations...

Mike Brichta

Get a couple cans of Chevy orange and one can of gloss black,open the hood, poke a hole in each can, throw one on each side, black in the middle and slam the hood. Wait 10 minutes before opening for safety. And this is how it will turn out. Lol

F9851101-EB9F-409D-AF23-9BC115658419.png

• Haha 2

Sorry had to. Is it in the car or out. I know the guy that built mine, remember it was all hot tanked, just degreased it, rinsed, let dry and painted. Probably not correct but that’s the way I’ve always done them. 

P.O.R. products has a painting kit that I used. The part number is 42269. The kit comes with cleaner and if I remember you brush the paint on and it flows and dries smooth. I did what I could with the engine in the car. It has held up pretty well. The kit back in 2017 was 69.50 shipped.

I really like the POR15 products also and did not know they made Chevy Orange engine paint.  Excellent.  I will have to order some.

Thanks again to this club and its members for being so helpful, as always. 

Mike

11 minutes ago, Mike Brichta said:

I really like the POR15 products also and did not know they made Chevy Orange engine paint.  Excellent.  I will have to order some.

Thanks again to this club and its members for being so helpful, as always. 

Mike

And being jokesters? Lol. 

Normally I would agree on the POR15 products but I used their high temp exhaust manifold paint on my exhaust manifolds and was not very happy with the end results.  I followed the instructions completely and they did not keep their cast iron coloring as expected.  For my engine paint I got my Chevy Engine Orange spray paint from Lutty's Chevy Parts in Pennsylvania and am very happy with the way it has held up.

rob

On 9/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, Rob Peters said:

Normally I would agree on the POR15 products but I used their high temp exhaust manifold paint on my exhaust manifolds and was not very happy with the end results.  I followed the instructions completely and they did not keep their cast iron coloring as expected.  For my engine paint I got my Chevy Engine Orange spray paint from Lutty's Chevy Parts in Pennsylvania and am very happy with the way it has held up.

rob

I too was not happy with manifold paint. I am still deciding if I want to take em off & have them done. 
I can’t seem to not have rusty manifolds ☹️

On 9/21/2021 at 2:07 PM, Mike Brichta said:

I am planning to paint an engine soon. What do you guys recommend for paint?  Any tips on prep before paint?

Thanks!!

Mike

I painted mine in the car. I Do not recommend it. 
if you pull the engine watch out for the radiator when engine swings toward it.