454 oil pan replacement not pulling the engine?

Grant MacPherson

Has anyone done an R&R oil pan without pulling the engine? I had an argument with a rock and lost!. A quick look and it appears that if I pull the fan blade and distributer cap,  I could lift the engine enough to get the pan off? thoughts?

Jim is probably correct on the valve cover to booster but it looks like you only need about 2-3 inches so you can drop the front of the pan and clear the mains. My concern would be getting enough height to clear the oil pump. 

I tried doing this about 3 years ago with a 402. I would say im comfortable with atleast your average amount of sketch as far as wedging the the engine on a 2x4 but I ended up pulling the engine because I didnt have enough height to get the pan down and out. 

I took my big block oil pan  out twice one summer a few years ago. First I replaced the oil pan gasket. Then figured out later it was the rear main leaking. So I pulled it again to install a new seal. I'm try to remember but I think I used the cherry picker to lift the front of the engine after the motor mount bolts were taken out. I do not think I removed the valve covers. I did take the distributor cap off. For safety I did put a 2x4 between the motor mount and block when the engine was lifted. The oil pan did not just "fall" out, took a little maneuvering but it did come out. I used a one pc oil pan gasket. They make a plastic "stud" that screw into the  block. They hold the gasket in place while you get the oil pan back in place. Then back one plastic holder out at a time and put the bolt back in.

Seems to be a lot of room even with the big block and if I remember correctly I did it without jacking the engine once or twice. If I did jack it wasn't much. Of course it will matter which oil pan is on it, should be a Chevelle type pan. However I have a corvette oil pan in mine now that doesn't leave much room. And for a real tight fit put a corvette pan in a 2nd generation camaro big block (it will fit). Anyway use the one piece gasket that is available sooo much better than the original cork and rubber 3 pcs pos. Also if you can find one the vette pan can't be beat.

rotin

• 1 month later...

new oil pan is in !!!!!!! removed distributer cap and fan, lifed the engine and slid the old pan out. little tight but not bad. Checked bottom end and everything in on the tight end of specs. plasti gauged #8 rod and #3 main are still standard and look mint. High volume GM oil pump, doulble roller timming chain. I didn't have any info on the engine so happy with what I found.  I used the 1 piece seal, went on nice hope it doesn't leak. Next up, pull drive shaft, trans rear housing and change speedo gears to match 3.42 diff.

20211123_164320.jpg

20211123_164333.jpg

20211123_164717.jpg

• Like 2

If I had bought it that way it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. It was a trailer queen before I got it, not anymore but I am trying to keep it as show presentable as possible. 2 years and 8000 miles, last owner had it for 10-11 years and put 3000 on it. He was surprised when I didn't show up with a trailer for the trip home.

• Like 2