Blue 1972 350-4bbl

Crom Cruach

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, with your car being shipped across to Ireland, are you able to track the progress of the shipment from the states, through Holland and finally into Ireland?

rob

51 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Hey Rob, not sure if I can track to that degree, I think I’ll get arrival and departure date and be thankful if the cargo ship doesn’t sink in the Atlantic. It happens apparently. 

The pirates might find out it’s in the ship. “ gotta have me one of those. Harrrrdy harr harr. “. Lol. Apparently that happens too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rant imminent:

shipping was due to leave Charleston tomorrow, but now they can’t match the price they quoted (paid in full by the way) for this container and it would be pushed out to late December. There is a ‘possibility’ to get on a Nov 18th container, for another $205! 
it’s not the money, it’s the uncertainty that’s hard to swallow. I’ll probably suck up the 200 but usually when you pay an invoice you are locked in to the thing you paid for - no more, no less, am I right?

plus the steering wheel sent kindly by James reached Dublin only to be promptly sent back to the states! New regs require a code called a TARIC code (only since July this year) that describes the item. So instead of, say asking me or James what’s in it, no, let’s fly it across the Atlantic twice just for laughs. 
infuriating! 

Monte is making me work for it 😂

I hope the trim ring reaches you without being shipped back.  I filled out a customs form and gave the description of it.  

Regarding the additional charges, I am with you, if you have paperwork agreeing to the shipping charges they should stand by that but it may be worth the $205 to help expedite the shipment.

rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

I hope the trim ring reaches you without being shipped back.  I filled out a customs form and gave the description of it.  

Regarding the additional charges, I am with you, if you have paperwork agreeing to the shipping charges they should stand by that but it may be worth the $205 to help expedite the shipment.

rob

I’m sure it’s grand Rob, I think James got the rookie in the USPS office! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 12:18 AM, Rob Peters said:

Paul, with your car being shipped across to Ireland, are you able to track the progress of the shipment from the states, through Holland and finally into Ireland?

rob

Turns out you can indeed track a cargo ship’s movement, amazing! Ok so it’s just gps not black magic but it’s pretty cool seeing my car stop off in Norfolk Virginia on its journey   

012CED18-E9B7-4F5C-B72A-A7ACC64C9560.thumb.jpeg.d2589a03fd97865ed9cadd803fe96154.jpeg

• Like 2

That is great Paul, I am sure some of us here will try to follow the progress of that ship along with you.  I am sure you are excited.  I wonder, once it docks in Norfolk I wonder how long it will sit before it sets out across the Atlantic.  

By the way, I am glad to hear the rally trim ring I shipped to you arrived undamaged.

rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the container ship aaaaalmost made it to Antwerp, but storm Barra has forced it to anchor down just off the coast of Dunkirk. You can see the ship turned to face the wind, and now is being blown around the anchor area. The poor car is far from home and not having a great welcome to Europe! 

ACFA6947-9AA9-461D-8641-CE9DB8D55323.thumb.jpeg.455bceb30fe44cdf0d97b2cf172b1a10.jpeg67F7CCA2-C4D1-4F81-AA9B-3E492DE07F2E.thumb.jpeg.41c311e7106487c241d18420f567270a.jpeg

• Like 2

In the event the seller forgot to ship the keys, it’s easy enough to punch the door lock with an icepick and then either peel the column and start the car with a flat blade screwdriver or yank the entire ignition with a dent puller once inside. 

Just kidding!  Hope your baby arrives soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Glen said:

In the event the seller forgot to ship the keys, it’s easy enough to punch the door lock with an icepick and then either peel the column and start the car with a flat blade screwdriver or yank the entire ignition with a dent puller once inside. 

I imagine you've seen that more than once or twice...

7 hours ago, Glen said:

Just kidding!  Hope your baby arrives soon!

Sound like an episode of CHIPS! The keys actually have to be in the ignition for the warehouse people to move the car around. I just hope it starts after so long in a container. I should probably make a list of things to bring in case: jump leads, Jerry can of unleaded, and someone to push it to the nearest garage if the tyres are flat!

1 hour ago, Crom Cruach said:

Sound like an episode of CHIPS! The keys actually have to be in the ignition for the warehouse people to move the car around. I just hope it starts after so long in a container. I should probably make a list of things to bring in case: jump leads, Jerry can of unleaded, and someone to push it to the nearest garage if the tyres are flat!

What’s the latest news on location? Will it be there in time for Christmas?🎄🎄

5 hours ago, jft69z said:

I imagine you've seen that more than once or twice...

Oh yeah, especially in the early 90s before all the fancy ignition and electronics on cars. The old school car thieves would do it the way I described and would be driving away in under a minute. The less experienced would just break a vent window for entry. Two of the immediate telltale signs of a steal… broken vent window and high beams (stuck on high as a result of breaking that column). Throw in a few kids too young to be driving and it was game on. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sbarnette said:

What’s the latest news on location? Will it be there in time for Christmas?🎄🎄

The container is waiting in Antwerp for a smaller cargo ship to pick it up. The ports are PACKED apparently. I’m checking vessel finder on an hourly basis it’s ridiculous!

While Paul is following the progress of his Monte to Ireland let's have a little bit of fun.  Since the Irish are noted for Limeriicks , I have started one and need members to continue it by adding the next line.  Here you go.

There was once an Irishman from County Kildare

Who wanted a Monte but thought do I dare

Order one from a place so far away

But he said what the hay and ordered from the USA

He bought it and said “Ship It”

And was given a tracking ship ticket

Who wants to give the next line

rob

• Like 1