Replacing vinyl roof

Crom Cruach

Hi lads, the ‘72 I just bought had an original black vinyl roof which was removed and the whole car repainted. But they never filled in the holes (if you see the attached photo I’m assuming the holes under the rear window are for the clips). I prefer solid colour, but the draw to keep it original is strong!  Is there a guide for fitting vinyl roofs and is this one any good? 

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Landau_Vinyl_Tops/Chevrolet/Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo_-_1970_thru_1977.html#!

C2C2694C-130A-4824-8E17-33476CD8532A.jpeg

• Like 1

• I have always been of the  opinion that First Gens do not look right withiout their hats on. That top you listed is what I put on my 71 . My 81 632 Malibu lost its landau somewhere in the mid 90s/ I still have the trim but that car just looked dumb with it on. My 70 454 Chevelle didnt  come with one, so I added it. 

90323440_10219646996359504_4997314102389899264_n (1).jpg

110555225_10220798849315108_3483783874653200952_n.jpg

29542387_10214238969722218_3748878187674545747_n (1).jpg

• Like 1

I’m having mine installed at the body shop also ( different person doing it) but all he’s doing to the main part of the roof is priming and sealing. No paint except a couple inches above the trim all the way around. 

17 minutes ago, 1Bad454 said:

Has anybody ever tried spaying bed liner material under the vinyl top area to prevent rust? Just curious if that would work.

My thought would be, I’m sure somebody has. I know that I wouldn’t. I know they make smooth stuff but I’d bet you’d never make the vinyl top smooth out. 

Im going to remove my top and have the rust repaired underneath it. Then I'll paint the car black. No vinyl top is going back on. I have seen too much rust damaged caused by vinyl tops. 

I could see the urge to keep it original, but nothing is original on my car so I'll build it the way I want.

John

• Like 1

What I have done to every car I have ever restored was a perfect wet sanded, cut an buffed full paint job. I also sign the roof with a Sharpie before installing. 

Side note, on my 39k mile 67 GTX, I took it to Ocala two years ago and got to hang out with Don Garlits, a very very MOPAR man. I mentioned to him that I wanted to put a hat on it and he threatened to beat my arse because it wasn't on the trim tag. Those that know me know that I'm a big dude. Mikey Waltrip here is 6'3".  Needless to say, my GTX has a painted roof still. 

78229273_10218552159469266_4832654204541599744_n.jpg

70606481_10218024203990709_5065286929126260736_n.jpg

• Like 2

The Satellite needs no vinyl top. Love the Hemi!!  Mine has a complete paint job, all sealed and a vinyl top from CARS INC. Had a professional shop install it. No issues yet since '06 . Just to let you know , anything with beeswax in it keeps it just like the day you bought it. I spray it down once a month with Pledge or Behold. Could be a different name in your part of the world.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg

With the way cars are driven, stored and cared for these days I don’t think rust is much of a problem with the vinyl top. The whole roof on my 70 painted before the top was glued down over 20 years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things come to mind with vinyl tops. When my car came out of paint I installed my vinyl top along with everything else required to go on. The roof was finished and painted but not cleared. Cover your car with sheets or paper to keep the glue overspray off your painted, glass and chromed surfaces. Find the centerline of your roof. and mark it with a piece of tape with a line on it for center. I measured the width of the windshield and divided it in half doing the same for the back glass  Lay the top out in the sun to take out some of the fold creases and find the center and mark it with a piece of tape with a line on it for center. with the help of a friend, drape the top over the roof and line up the front two lines for center and the two rear lines for center. Looked it all over to make sure she was on right and the seams straight and evenly spaced on top of the roof. Putting some heavy books down on one half of the top to hold it in place I folded it in half  laying it on the books and applied my Vinyl Top Glue. Working from the center out to the edge gluing and smoothing it out gently with a bondo spreader. I cut the excess with a sharp pair of shears. Since I own a 70 with a halo top I cut and glued the top to between the studs for the chrome. Run the top into the window wells gluing down to the studs that hold the clips by cutting a little triangle to clear the stud. You will probably have to pie cut the top a little to get it to lay tightly around the corners of the back glass and windshield. You will have ample material to make these cuts so take it slow and cut carefully working the top and glue from the center out to each corner and down the sail. Then do the same for the other side. Use an exacto knife for close cuts. Leave it for 24 hours for the glue to set up and then add your clips and set your chrome. This will take about 3 to 4 hours to do. My quote for the top to get installed was $500.00 I paid $65.00 for two cans of glue this was ten years ago. On the other hand I seen a guy that installed his vinyl top chrome then did a matte finish to the paint for a pseudo vinyl top look. Looked amazing on a black car dont know about different colors.  

vinyl top 1.jpg

vinyl top 2.jpg

• Like 2

This is invaluable Donnie, thanks. I might give it a go because there are pretty much no vinyl tops in my part of the world, so I’d say finding an installer with experience is unlikely. Even for interior, headliner etc, I want to find someone who will pay attention to the way it was done in Baltimore, and not just use the Toyota Prius method!

I read somewhere that on an original top the seams do not line up on the top and the bottom of the back glass. Offset seams.  After market tops are in a straight line.  Is this true?

17 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

This is invaluable Donnie, thanks. I might give it a go because there are pretty much no vinyl tops in my part of the world, so I’d say finding an installer with experience is unlikely. Even for interior, headliner etc, I want to find someone who will pay attention to the way it was done in Baltimore, and not just use the Toyota Prius method!

You have any issues just write and I'll try to help. Its not that bad really if you just take your time go slow and cut carefully. I was in England a few years ago visiting a fellow petrol head. LOL

On 10/3/2021 at 3:06 AM, Crom Cruach said:

Hi lads, the ‘72 I just bought had an original black vinyl roof which was removed and the whole car repainted. But they never filled in the holes (if you see the attached photo I’m assuming the holes under the rear window are for the clips). I prefer solid colour, but the draw to keep it original is strong!  Is there a guide for fitting vinyl roofs and is this one any good? 

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Landau_Vinyl_Tops/Chevrolet/Chevrolet_Monte_Carlo_-_1970_thru_1977.html#!

C2C2694C-130A-4824-8E17-33476CD8532A.jpeg

I looked at your link I think that if you were to buy one I would get the "cheaper" with the fuzzy underlayment. This is the style I used on my car. I got mine from Year One if I remember right. It wasn't that expensive I think I gave $150.00 for it but it was some years ago. You'll like the underlayment as it gives a softer touch to the roof. The Levant vinyl is the proper material.