Replacing vinyl roof

Crom Cruach

On 10/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, SSpev said:

I read somewhere that on an original top the seams do not line up on the top and the bottom of the back glass. Offset seams.  After market tops are in a straight line.  Is this true?

From what Ive put tog ether with the vinyl tops. The seams on the aftermarket tops are a bit wider (further apart) than original tops. It might have something to do with lining up with the glass but the difference is mere inchs or less

From what I have seen on factory vinyl tops is the seams on the roof do  NOT line up with the seams between the trunk and rear window.  On the factory ones I have seen the vinyl seams on the filler panel between the trunk and rear window actually line up with where the filler panel seams meet the quarter panel but the reproduction ones the filler panel seams actually line up with the roof seams.  There may be exceptions as I am not sure if all of the reproduction vinyl panels are like this.  In the past this has been one way to verify if a vinyl roof is an an original or a reproduction.

rob

• Like 1

The best top you can buy is from Legendary out of New York. It is cut perfect to fit our tops. Others are not and need a lot of stretching to make it fit correctly. The seams on the back end should line up with the trunk edge and not where the Chevelle’s are

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 4:03 AM, Crom Cruach said:

Legendary also do vinyl tops, the ‘72 is glossy black, I wonder would that be a better (or more authentic) product?

The levant is the original grain. It is a good color black. Glossy? Not really its still shiny yet subdued. Here is mine ten years later

Monte 4.jpg

• Like 2