Derailed project

TommySS454

Wanna know how to derail a project just when you have some money to throw at it? You buy another one of these......

Havent done a single thing to the Monte all summer because the weather has been too good. ( Yes its possible)  Im going to get back after it this winter.

I wont have an excuse. Other than spending a large portion of my car budget on two wheeled toys. Anyone else put off the car for other projects or toys?

IMG_20210323_153922295_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Not yet but I’ve been holding off on projects that need to be done on the house and property. I may have to sell the Monte to do them. Lol. Not happening. 36 windows and two sets of French doors (exterior) and a 1/4 mile of asphalt driveway. They can wait. 

I gotta admit I have fallen into the same thing you have gotten into.

I have always had bikes and have 4 of them now including another Harley. When I bought my Ultra in 2018 I pretty much stopped driving my Monte to only a few times a year. Even joined a MC. Here's some of us from the club taken a couple weeks ago in New York.

IMG_20190411_163043571_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180707_142859588_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210919_193131.jpg

I did two years ago. Bought a 19 Ultra Limited, a 93 Heritage, and last year I bought a 2020 VMAXX. Put a ton of miles on the 93 and everything else sat. But I did manage to get my 70 GS455 vert running. Sold the Ultra, the wifes Ryker and Rebel (she never rode), and the VMAXX scared me so bad on the ride home that it sits in my warehouse with no fuel in it and 16.7 miles. 

This winter I am trading my 85 hardtail/springer chopper for a full pain job on the Buick. 

155492664_10222358682109953_619577646816624143_n.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cooltech said:

I didnt buy another project but did do a whole lot of camping with friends this year!! My father in law how ever did some work to my Monte. 

Yea we did a whole lot of camping this year too, the project I'm working on is for use down the road so no hurry. Got a couple things to do over the winter too. 

20210731_160900.jpg

I started to restore a 78 Goldwing at the old house and when we moved 6 years ago I built an 8x8  8 ft tall shelf over the top of it. Now the shelf is stuffed and I can’t even see the bike. Probably junk now. The bike was my dads and he wrecked it and gave it to me. He loved the bike so I was doing it just to give it back to him. He passed 13 years ago and I lost interest. Possibly someday I’ll get back to it. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

I started to restore a 78 Goldwing at the old house and when we moved 6 years ago I built an 8x8  8 ft tall shelf over the top of it. Now the shelf is stuffed and I can’t even see the bike. Probably junk now. The bike was my dads and he wrecked it and gave it to me. He loved the bike so I was doing it just to give it back to him. He passed 13 years ago and I lost interest. Possibly someday I’ll get back to it. 

Maybe someday get to it as a tribute to your dad. It's hard loosing your dad, sorry for your loss. Mine has been gone 17 years now, I still miss him.

Well at least I'm not the only one. The bad part is that the same thing happened with this same car in 2003 when I built my first big boy bike.

Got a good deal on a basket case Softail and thought it wouldn't take long to build. Then several different builds of that same bike and it's like 5 years later. Then it's time for bigger touring bikes.... I'm not sure building motorcycles is cheaper, but there is so much less sheet metal. 

Here is that bike in it's current configuration. And of the poor Monte.  I gotta get my [censored] together...

IMG_20211004_162230652.jpg

IMG_20201227_134752538_optimized.jpg

I did not know your project Monte was not drivable and only that far along.

Mine is drivable but needs a full restoration on the exterior. I have a feeling mine will never be done. I still have my nitrous kit in the original boxes sitting on a shelf for about 12 years now. 

All said and done I will never get rid of my Monte and I do enjoy it even though it is not so pretty to look at, lol.

I also have been spending my Monte money on doing alot more 4 wheeling.

IMG_20210417_121946.jpg

28 minutes ago, 502ci said:

All said and done I will never get rid of my Monte and I do enjoy it even though it is not so pretty to look at, lol.

Nonsense Bill.  What do you mean it is not pretty to look at.  ALL First Gen Monte's are pretty to look at no matter what stage they are in.

rob

• Like 1

It was a complete car in 2019 but needed a ton of work. So I pulled the body off the frame and began replacing sheet metal. Here is one of the threads I made with pictures. It's no wonder I started messing with motorcycles. By the way the picture below isn't mine and don't know why it shows on that link. Mine was never that nice 🙂

Edited by TommySS454
Words

23 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yes very nice and he is a great guy too. Wasn't he at Carlisle this past summer? He usually goes.

Jim and his son did stop by in Carlisle this year but just for the afternoon.  It was good to see him.

rob

• Like 1

I should not say derailed but since I have the room the 70 chevelle is getting some new fenders. I picked these up south of St Louis about 8 months ago. More parts out of the bedroom closet. Lol. 

C608AAF4-404F-418C-8E99-C75D717592BA.jpeg

14F7F978-A077-432B-A251-2C8F184FCE72.jpeg

61EC7619-23F5-4AE1-93D4-AB0275B44077.jpeg

33E96882-4605-425C-B086-0E46E38C71DA.jpeg

• Like 3

Ya it looks like it was originally red, painted black when I got it 84. Cowl tag reads Fathom blue. No vin under the heater box. So I got nowhere in my quest to determine any type of authenticity. But it did get a new heater core. Lol. 

Ok try this on for a derailment. So yesterday Karen and I ( and several others) received a summons to appear in court for a 2012 collateral loan that was taken out on our house before we bought it. We purchased in September 2015. It was never discovered by the banks, the title companies or the sheriffs office. The amount. 218,643. Yes six digits. Lol. Yes the good thing is that we purchased title insurance so we should be covered. But now We have to waste our time and money to fight this thing. One ironic thing is the people that are suing don’t know that the main plaintiff died a year ago. What a pain in my ...