Carb or EFI?

72 Monte Carlo

I'm debating getting a Holley Sniper EFI system or just getting a brand new carb to put on my BB 416 ci engine. 

A 2,500 rpm stall converter is going in the trans, and I will be running the Lunati Voodoo 268/276 cam kit, big long tube headers, dual plane Edelbrock intake, HEI, compression will be around 9.5:1, and the car has 2.73 gears with the factory posi. 

If I run a 750+ cfm carb, should I run vac secondaries or mechanical due to the stall converter?

Anyone on here run a Holley Sniper 800 cfm setup on their big block, and if so have you had any issues with it?

What carb are you guys running on your big block with an auto trans, besides a quadrajet carb?

Thanks for your input!

Doug

The only negatives I can see with going with EFI is, initial cost, and what would a person do if the EFI ECU on the throttle body dies. Your motor won't run with a dead ECU and you can't just buy it at the auto parts store. 

I might suggest looking at the Holley EFI forums to do a little research on the Sniper system, vs. their other offerings with a standalone ECM. I'm there pretty much a few times a week and tend to see a bit more problems with the Sniper vs the other ones. Could be possible because they sell more of them due to lower cost though, which may lead to more tech related questions/issues by proportion. I've been using their 'Terminator Stealth with Transmission Control' EFI with very good results and no issues at all. It uses their most powerful ECM, has a lot of extra points to add more inputs/outputs, etc, but also has a higher price tag. 

I just ordered another one for my '69 Z/28 with a 454 that'll be getting torn apart real soon.

• Like 1

I have holley sniper on my 87 GMC 454 for 2 years and still not happy with it. Went back to holley once and they said it had bent injector pins. They repaired and sent it back. It still doesn't run consistant, sometimes poor cold starts, sometimes floods on hot starts, burps and farts on wot. And===the next day it runs like a beast, lots of power great wot. 

I don't have a holley rep in my area and on line hasn't been very helpful.  I have found an independent mechanic who I hope can fix it so the verdict is still out.

1 hour ago, Grant MacPherson said:

It still doesn't run consistant, sometimes poor cold starts, sometimes floods on hot starts, burps and farts on wot. And===the next day it runs like a beast, lots of power great wot. 

I don't have a holley rep in my area and on line hasn't been very helpful.  I have found an independent mechanic who I hope can fix it so the verdict is still out.

They're know to have issues with their CTS (coolant temp switches), which could possibly cause some of the issues you may be having. Maybe compare the readings with actual temps (IR temperature gun would be good) and see if it's off. Pretty sure there are different manufacturer switches they recommend vs. getting another Holley one. I may have something saved on that somewhere if that turns out to be a problem you see. LMK.

9 minutes ago, 72 Monte Carlo said:

Brew - Did you gain any mpg over running a carb, and if so, how much more?

I have no idea. I have never tracked mpg on it.  I know it starts when I turn the key, every time. 
no pumping the gas pedal etc. 

Sorry