454 pre build thoughts

SSpev

All fit except tunnel ram and roots style blowers, 4-71,6-71,8-71 etc. 

I have an Edelbrock preformer RPM air gap, 1" spacer, Holley 950hp and a stock style dual snorkel air cleaner on Big Red with no clearance issues. Although it's close. 

IMG_20190928_174700.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, MC1of80 said:

All fit except tunnel ram and roots style blowers, 4-71,6-71,8-71 etc. 

I have an Edelbrock preformer RPM air gap, 1" spacer, Holley 950hp and a stock style dual snorkel air cleaner on Big Red with no clearance issues.

GREAT info!  interesting an air gap with 1 spacer fits👍

Are you keeping the quadrajet carb? Just saying on my Holley the stock air cleaner base /bottom didn't work. I had to go with a drop base/bottom and aftermarket air cleaner. I haven't re-visited to see if I could massage the stock part. 

The aftermarket air cleaner on Big Red is a reproduction of a 70 Camaro air cleaner assy. No dropped base and fits the Holley carb with no issues. It has "dimples" for the float bowl adjusting screws/nuts. That's usually the issue with other assys not fitting the Holley. 

PXL_20211016_174808858.jpg

PXL_20211016_193406223.jpg

Another thought.   Has anyone use 425HP Corvette manifolds?  They look a little better and They would fool some people as they are cast iron.  I know headers would be better but I want to look very stock.

The 69 and earlier Chevy big port manifold will fit just fine. I run a 425 hp 427/375 HP 396 (there the same) chevy manifold on mine with a 800 DP and a 14 inch open air cleaner with no real drop and it fits just fine. Stay away from the 1970/71 LS6 manifolds as they are a low rise design to fit under the 70 camaro hood and are very expensive, even the repops. Used 425 hp intakes are relatively cheap if you want to have that stock look but are flanged for Holley square bores so for a q-jet you would need a spacer/adapter that will change things and they are for rectangular port heads. If you are contemplating a q-jet you are probably not thinking rectangular port heads so why use the 425 hp manifold (it will work for oval ports)? For oval port heads you can't beat the cool factor of the 400 hp corvette intake. 3 Holley deuces and will fit under the hood. There are a lot of chevy options in oval port cast iron intakes but not many in aluminum. 

Never tried the exhaust manifolds but might have some trouble with the crossmember. Thought about it but I know my motor won't be happy with them. Back then chevy just knew that the stock manifolds would be replaced with headers so they didn't take as much care in design as they do now.

One nice thing is the corvette oil pan will fit on a big block Monte, one extra quart and nice baffling to control the oil.

rotin

• 2 weeks later...

If I do this, I think I will use my wiend 8005 I have.  Looks like 3969869 and 3880828  exhaust may fit.   Only interference could be the upper steering column joint.  It will have a small cam to take advantage of the torque.

They are repoping those so they can be easily purchased. Still not sure of the clearance to the cross member. Let us know how they fit I might want to try them on my 71 Chevelle as that one will stick with the nearly stock motor.

rotin

On 10/18/2021 at 2:47 PM, rotinrob said:

For oval port heads you can't beat the cool factor of the 400 hp corvette intake. 3 Holley deuces and will fit under the hood. There are a lot of chevy options in oval port cast iron intakes but not many in aluminum. 

One nice thing is the corvette oil pan will fit on a big block Monte, one extra quart and nice baffling to control the oil.

rotin

67 high rise rectangle port 3x2 intake, Edelbrock oval ports. Works as good as an oval port intake on oval port heads. You would never know of the "mismatched combo" unless some told ya. Also running the Vette 5 Qt oil pan as mentioned above.

E72EA123-CB1B-4588-99C2-5E1D8F8DA4F6.jpeg

2446C87B-8039-4E08-AE4E-DF23FAEEDA48.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SSpev said:

COOL!   and it has emission stuff still on it!

Hadda have that stuff when I lived in CT. No emissions parts in place NO INSPECTION and NO Registration even if it met emissions numbers which it did !!!! Stupid laws. My buddy ran a repair shop and he had the SAME sniffer the DMV did. We made the numbers but the morons at DMV wouldn't go any further than raising the hood, they stopped dead in the water w/o the emission stuff in place.

More interesting (infuriating?) is that its an LS6 crate engine ( I make no claim it is a factory car ) with the factory solid lifter FT cam and John got it spitting out LS5 numbers. Vette 3x2 / rectangle port heads (back then) / solid lifters and a 5 speed stick.... none of which were offered in 1972 Monte Carlos and he made it all work.

Stupid DMV...

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2021 at 9:12 AM, SSpev said:

If I do this, I think I will use my wiend 8005 I have.  Looks like 3969869 and 3880828  exhaust may fit.   Only interference could be the upper steering column joint.  It will have a small cam to take advantage of the torque.

Are you going to give those exhaust manifolds a try?

On 10/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, DragCat said:

Are you keeping the quadrajet carb? Just saying on my Holley the stock air cleaner base /bottom didn't work. I had to go with a drop base/bottom and aftermarket air cleaner. I haven't re-visited to see if I could massage the stock part. 

Same here… my girl came with an Edelbrock Performer intake and Quickfuel carb.  The stock air cleaner I popped big coin for didn’t fit - even with spacers. Which is why I will be leaving the Chevelle air cleaner assembly that came with the car in place for now. I’ve got the original intake and carb, so if/when I ever go back to stock I’ll have a brand new/re-pop factory correct air cleaner. 

• 2 weeks later...

well shoot its been a while sense I looked at the monte.   I started a couple honey does and prepping my daughters 86 monte for paint.😲

• 7 months later...

wow its been a while.....  I am so unfocused when it comes to cars.😵   86 got painted.  been working on daughter 2 getting married and buying a house.  Still fiddle with my 71 a bit.  The 454 may be getting nixed for now.  I have got it almost all stock with nos / used parts and ALMOST everything works.  had to buy aftermarket speedo and clock.  Put a retro radio in.  Need to get the steering column / key switch to work.  Won't turn to acc.  Fix the rear power windows and ac.   Then who knows what is next.