Dash clock

Hey Chris, what i mostly hear and true to even me. remove and clean it well with a little light oil and she works. Maybe someone else will chime in with some input. But it worked for me.

• Like 1

I have heard the same as Willie.  Mine is right twice a day.  Other than cleaning it I know a couple suppliers sell a quartz movement that can be installed in place of the current motor.  I think I would be torn on if I would go through all of the work to clean it and do the reassembly into the dash and find it doesn't work so if I ever do anything with mine it may be to install the new quartz movement....but that is just me.

rob

1 hour ago, willie said:

Hey Chris, what i mostly hear and true to even me. remove and clean it well with a little light oil and she works. Maybe someone else will chime in with some input. But it worked for me.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

I have heard the same as Willie.  Mine is right twice a day.  Other than cleaning it I know a couple suppliers sell a quartz movement that can be installed in place of the current motor.  I think I would be torn on if I would go through all of the work to clean it and do the reassembly into the dash and find it doesn't work so if I ever do anything with mine it may be to install the new quartz movement....but that is just me.

rob

Thank you for the input 

I certainly don't know all the ways an original dash clock can fail but I found two mechanical failures and one electrical failure when I repaired mine. Although working on a dash clock is not as challenging as watch repair, it is certainly more tedious than rebuilding a carburetor, for example, so take your time, use a magnifying glass or headset and get out your smallest tools.

Like many of the systems on our 50+ year old Montes, the dash clock is electro-mechanical with no electronic or solid state components. Just eliminate any shorts or breaks in the 12V wiring, reseat/adjust the moving parts and lube all bearings/contact points with a very light oil.  Beware that the orange luminescent paint on the clock hands is very tender and can be scuffed off easily.  Also the black face of the clock can be easily scratched or marred.

I had a complete photo journal of my clock repair project available on Photobucket but they dumped me because I refused to pay their hosting subscription.  I still have all of the photos, of course, and can share them with anyone.  If you need any pointers on how to remove, disassemble, inspect, adjust, repair, reassemble and reinstall your dash clock, I might be able to help and send you a relevant photo or two - just let me know.

If I had known how relatively easy it is to repair our dash clocks, I would have attempted repair before I ordered a new quartz replacement.  I installed the repaired original in my '70 SS and it ran fine.

20 minutes ago, MCfan said:

I certainly don't know all the ways an original dash clock can fail but I found two mechanical failures and one electrical failure when I repaired mine. Although working on a dash clock is not as challenging as watch repair, it is certainly more tedious than rebuilding a carburetor, for example, so take your time, use a magnifying glass or headset and get out your smallest tools.

Like many of the systems on our 50+ year old Montes, the dash clock is electro-mechanical with no electronic or solid state components. Just eliminate any shorts or breaks in the 12V wiring, reseat/adjust the moving parts and lube all bearings/contact points with a very light oil.  Beware that the orange luminescent paint on the clock hands is very tender and can be scuffed off easily.  Also the black face of the clock can be easily scratched or marred.

I had a complete photo journal of my clock repair project available on Photobucket but they dumped me because I refused to pay their hosting subscription.  I still have all of the photos, of course, and can share them with anyone.  If you need any pointers on how to remove, disassemble, inspect, adjust, repair, reassemble and reinstall your dash clock, I might be able to help and send you a relevant photo or two - just let me know.

If I had know how relatively easy it is to repair our dash clocks, I would have attempted repair before I ordered a new quartz replacement.  I installed the repaired original in my '70 SS and it ran fine.

Thank you very much 😊 

I did research when my blue oval rides clock stopped working, quartz upgrade was quite pricey. (in hindsight not really that much considering what I've spent on my Mote lol) Back then I just upgraded the dash radio/stereo which displayed the time in the new unit. I'm not a concours guy so it was never that important to me, plus I'm old school and still wear a wrist watch, you know the kind, where the little hands point at the numbers. 

Since winter is almost here, and you'll need an inside project I'd take a swing at the cleaning and such like Dennis said, after that its up to you. 

• Like 1

I was always able to fix my clocks by replacing the coil/points assembly.  That keeps it original and you can still hear the "old style" click of the points solenoid.

I think there are places out there that will do a "mechanical" repair for around $60.  As others have already mentioned, quartz replacement is an option but more expensive.

Good luck!!
Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Brichta said:

I was always able to fix my clocks by replacing the coil/points assembly.  That keeps it original and you can still hear the "old style" click of the points solenoid.

I think there are places out there that will do a "mechanical" repair for around $60.  As others have already mentioned, quartz replacement is an option but more expensive.

Good luck!!
Mike

Thanks