Dual horn setup

So I’m bored and now I think I want dual horns for the car. Anyone got a set they want to part with. Need complete with brackets and harness. Let me know. Thanks in advance. Also I would prefer that they work. Lol. 

• Haha 1

Would that be legal? 😃

71 and 72 only had one, correct? What about 70?

Never thought about it before. My 71 has one, and it went bad so I replaced it back in the 70's.

I put dual horns on mine. I got them from OPGI at the time & of course, they were backordered. Part number is CH28543, they weren't cheap either. For the harness, I just made a jumper with factory terminals and connectors. I'll get a picture when I go out in the shop.

20 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Would that be legal? 😃

71 and 72 only had one, correct? What about 70?

Never thought about it before. My 71 has one, and it went bad so I replaced it back in the 70's.

No not “legal “ it’s another mod. It was a factory option. Just a low and high tone. If they came with one it was a high tone. The car seems to be leaning a bit on the drivers side front and if I add the other horn it will balance it out. Lol. God I’m stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I looked in the factory assembly manual. Page 12G-1 shows the 1 horn, but the description says 'Low Note'? Those were early drawings though typically...

I'm pretty sure I may have modified the mounting brackets a little. Maybe bent the locking tabs up on the the end and TIG welded up the gap, then squared up the ends. 

20211023_103833.jpg

20211023_103847.jpg

Picture from OPGI website:

horn-kit-hilow-1970-72-chevellemonte-carloel-camino-ch28543.jpg

That looks great. See how balanced the latch looks with the two. You’re probably correct, it could have been a low tone. If I really had to have them I could steal the off my chevelle lol. 

2C64D555-EC53-43D8-B775-B10441C97773.jpeg

My 71 base model came with just 1. You really can't see mine but I think it's the high tone and sounds like a wieney horn so I'm going to change it over to something else just not sure what. It really don't have to be stock because like I said you can't see it anyhow.

20200822_111700.jpg

• Like 1

I was in the horn department at Delco Remy in the 70's.. We made an "A" note, "C" note and "D" note horns and  a lost of applications had the A and C notes. Cadillac was the main user of the D note at one time plus we had what we called the Cadillac horn that had a trumpet like thing on it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, willie said:

My 72 Custom had only 1 horn, But my 71  SS's are split some have 1 horn and some have 2 horns. All SS's are built in Kansas City. All my 350 parts cars only have 1 horn.

What do you mean “all SS’s are built in Kansas City “. ?  

Mine came with dual horns, one is a L note and the other is a H note. I just rebuilt the h note horn that stopped working. I found a you tube video that has you drill out the rivets, clean and reseal the horn. Repainted it and put it back on the car.

• Like 1