Rust repair

71SSclone

Stolen from MC1of80  Been there done that. And the snowball begins!  Good luck! 

35 years ago with my 71 Black Monte (NO Vinyl top.)

Funny, I was a Ford mechanic 72 till 75.

Mr. Milne did NOT like me driving my 71 Monte to work. I did purchase a 78 T-Bird, nice car.........

• Like 2

Thomas,

What 1/4 panels did you use? Gm or aftermarket? I bought everything from Belden, but my c pillars need work. Im really trying not to go with a full replacement 1/4s because I know what that would lead into. Lol

John

10 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Stolen from MC1of80 

Been there done that. And the snowball begins!  Good luck! 

(35 years ago with my 71 Black Monte NO Vinyl top.)

Bruce,

Im going for the same look as your car. Black with no vinyl top!!

• Like 1

John, If your interested this link should take you to my old collection of 71 Monte restoration pics in the mid 1980's

Not as nice as yours but I was on a tight budget.

https://1971montecarlo.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo/

• Like 1

We used some of the first reproduction 1/4s from AMD. Very impressed with them. They are just as good as originals. We also have a set of NOS GM 1/4s "in stock" that we had them side by side for a comparison. Highly recommend the AMD.

• Like 1

Nice project there John.  Keep the pictures coming.  Looks like you have your work cut out for you.... excuse the no pun intended.

rob

Honestly, it wont be me doing the work. My garage is full and have no space for bodywork shenanigans at my house. A friend owns a shop and agreed to take this project on during the winter. I'll probably go down there and help as much as I can. He has been trying to hire me part time since I retired, but until my hip and ankles are healed, there is no way I'm going to work even a part time schedule.

Next thing to do is gut the interior, then I'll take it to the shop. Still waiting on the deck lid filler panel, then I should have all the pieces to get the body work started. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, this has been a snowballing project set to drain the bank account and them some. Ordered and received trunk filler panel and outer wheel houses. Need to order full 1/4 panels, roof skin, trunk floor and trunk drop down panels. Gutted the interior today, found holes in the floor (small ones, easy patch) and found that the drivers power bucket seat was not mounted correctly. Apparently, there is a special bracket for drivers power bucket seat. Mine was just bolted through the floor, spaced with a couple of large nuts for the outer seat track, and a homemade adapter bracket for the inner seat track. Thinking of just ditching the factory seats, they are uncomfortable and need to be redone. Was looking into aftermarket seats, they looks much more comfortable and cheaper than redoing my factory buckets. I'll lose the power seat feature but that doesn't really bother me. I want this car to be a comfortable driver. 

So, instead of a little body repair, it has now become quest to make her as rust free as possible, plus a complete re-do of the interior.  Hope to finished by the east coast meet next July. What have I put myself up against!?!?!?!?!

John,

The 2022 Eastern Meet is at the end of June, not July.  I hate to put added stress on your redo but didn't want you to come up short on time.

rob

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

So, this has been a snowballing project set to drain the bank account and them some. Ordered and received trunk filler panel and outer wheel houses. Need to order full 1/4 panels, roof skin, trunk floor and trunk drop down panels. Gutted the interior today, found holes in the floor (small ones, easy patch) and found that the drivers power bucket seat was not mounted correctly. Apparently, there is a special bracket for drivers power bucket seat. Mine was just bolted through the floor, spaced with a couple of large nuts for the outer seat track, and a homemade adapter bracket for the inner seat track. Thinking of just ditching the factory seats, they are uncomfortable and need to be redone. Was looking into aftermarket seats, they looks much more comfortable and cheaper than redoing my factory buckets. I'll lose the power seat feature but that doesn't really bother me. I want this car to be a comfortable driver. 

So, instead of a little body repair, it has now become quest to make her as rust free as possible, plus a complete re-do of the interior.  Hope to finished by the east coast meet next July. What have I put myself up against!?!?!?!?!

I know a few of us have asked that same question ( in different ways) many times. Time, patience and money. You’ll get there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

John,

The 2022 Eastern Meet is at the end of June, not July.  I hate to put added stress on your redo but didn't want you to come up short on time.

rob

My body shop guy said 6 months. It goes in the beginning of December. I think I'm already short on time. Looks like I'm pulling alot of hours at the shop the next 6 months.  Which is good, my wife says I need to get out of the house more. lol

22 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

My body shop guy said 6 months. It goes in the beginning of December. I think I'm already short on time. Looks like I'm pulling alot of hours at the shop the next 6 months.  Which is good, my wife says I need to get out of the house more. lol

If he gets it done in 6 months, you can add at least another month for you to get it all back together. You’re going to be pushing for Carlisle. I hope you can do it though, the more the merrier. 

22 hours ago, 71SSclone said:

Thinking of just ditching the factory seats, they are uncomfortable and need to be redone.

I used the factory seats in my 72 and they are very comfortable. I purchased the bolster covers and foam from Legendary and they sit so much better than when they were stock. A little pricey but well worth it at least to me it was. My whole interior only set me back about $2000 including the Dakota Digital Dash and new dash from the Parts Place.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Leghome said:

I used the factory seats in my 72 and they are very comfortable. I purchased the bolster covers and foam from Legendary and they sit so much better than when they were stock. A little pricey but well worth it at least to me it was. My whole interior only set me back about $2000 including the Dakota Digital Dash and new dash from the Parts Place.

Pretty much the same path I took with my interior. Real happy with the Legendary 'Rally' seat covers for the stock seats. Better bottom & side support, but still look stock. Same with the D/D gauges, couldn't be happier.