350 vs 396 engine pulleys ...

Mike Brichta

Hey guys,

I need all (4) pulleys for a 396 BBC engine. Alternator, Power Steering (2 groove), Water Pump (long), Crank/Damper (3 groove for AC).

I have all of these from a 350 SBC engine.

Can any of the 350 pulleys be used on the 396 engine?

If not, does anyone have any that they are willing to sell? Or know of a good source for them?

Thanks!!
Mike

I ordered pulleys when I did the crate  upgrade, I'm pretty sure I got them from TPP. My original 454 and the new crate are short water pump. Actually the crate came with a long WP but I switched it to a short so all my accessories and such would be the same. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile but IIRC I used the pulley set from a mid 70's chevy truck. Sourced from Ebay and I don't have a clue on the vendor name but there are plenty out there. The alternator is the same you just need the big block mounting brackets also from the truck 

After a lot of looking around and talking to other people I am going with the assumption that all SB pulleys can be used on a BB engine, except the crank pulley.

All of the brackets (AC, Alt, PS) are all different.

I will let you know if I find out later that something is different.

Thanks!!

• Like 1