Awoke the sleeping Beast

Grant MacPherson

That would be a significant difference. You will need to visit the gas station more often. I have 3.73 in mine and wish it was more like the stock 3.31 or 3.42.

The guy who rebuilt my trans said he’d be happy to do the exact same swap to my 70 SS - 3:42 Posi unit for the stock open 2:56. I’m aware of the potential… just need some persuasion.  Is the swap all its cracked up to be?  

3 hours ago, Glen said:

The guy who rebuilt my trans said he’d be happy to do the exact same swap to my 70 SS - 3:42 Posi unit for the stock open 2:56. I’m aware of the potential… just need some persuasion.  Is the swap all its cracked up to be?  

I guess it just depends on what you’re looking for. My 71 has 3:31 gears and I’m at 3500 RPM’s at 70 MPH. I would like to run lower RPM’s on the highway. I guess an overdrive transmission may be in my future.

• Like 1

3.42 gears with a 27” tire should be about 3,000 rpm at 70 mph. With the 2.56 you would have been at 2,300 rpm at 70 mph. My 3.73 rear end puts me at 3,300 rpm at 70 mph.

Going to a 28" tall tire (i.e. 275/60-15 as Tom suggested) will change your effective gear ratio from 3.42 to 3.28 which is very close to the 3.31 many of us run in our BBC Montes. RPMs @ 70 mph with a 28" tall tire and your current 3.42 rear gear would be around 2875 - not great but possibly livable. 

Of course, running 28" tall tires with a 3.31 rear drops 70 mph rpms a bit further to 2785 with an effective ratio of 3.17.

A quick way to come close is most speedometers register 60 mph at 1000 rpm cable speed (easily checked). Do you know what color gears are in your TH400? On my MC I had to change out the speedo gear housing, gear and add a box for my 4.56 gears. I don't think I changed the gear on the output shaft. The box came from the GM dealer I used to work for. The Olds parts book actually had a chart listing the gear and box required for 4.56 gears in a Toranado (trans basically a TH400). Must have been some serious tow package's back then (or maybe gas was just starting to creep to $1.00/gallon). As for a revlimiter I have been using the Flamethrower 3 ignition with built in revlimiter on most of my builds now, works great and looks stock. Need to run 12v to it for optimum spark. Haven't replaced the HEI in the MC yet (on the list of things to do) so my foot is the rev limiter. Actually now it is the used up valve springs as it will start floating at about 6200/6500 instead of the usual 7500 needed to get the full benefit of the  4.56 gears (also on the list, springs on the shelf, self on the couch).

rotin 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:09 AM, Glen said:

Lots of good suggestions and info in the above posts from members 👍 I couldn't add anything specific for your needs so just watched on. Mine isn't a highway cruiser. 

I swapped out my old series 2 posi in my 12 bolt to a series 3 with 355 gears (my buddy had it in stock 🤣) and yes its a different monster! I never changed the speedo gear (I've already got to much on the to do list or I'm just being lazy) but the local solar powered speed limit checker has me 15mph off my speedometer so good enough 🤣 I also have 275/60/R15 drag radials on the rear. Also a rebuilt TH400 and new converter. On my build, the original posi and gears without the drag radials ( just BFG's) was a pig, I hated it, but with the new was fantastic. Again, I wasn't interested in hwy cruising.

My buddy offered me his old ( he upgraded to the 7) msd 6al and I'm contemplating the change. I have an HEI dizzy so I either have to buy the adapter parts or replace it with a standard dizzy. Some people like the msd's some don't. 

Just my .02