Brake squeak

Canuck

I have an intermittent brake squeak rolling at low speed (usually cruising the beach). Usually only when the brakes are warm/hot after some driving. If I touch the brakes the squeak goes away but returns when I let off the brake. I pulled a calliper off and I’ve got lots of pad left and appears to be wearing evenly between the 2 pads. These rotors do have a groove in them which I’ve never had on any of my previous Montes. Any thoughts?

BAB81E62-70C1-4EEF-903E-862E9BD1EEC0.jpeg

05B7FA37-8805-4B2F-AE40-782F5E80B821.jpeg

0A269862-4C08-4A02-97EB-FA22FD47BE44.jpeg

B71901D6-A0DC-4698-9B88-99D296FBEF78.jpeg

I've never seen a groove that wide in any rotor!  Usually it is just a small V groove that would turn bright when the pads were nearing end of life.  Your pads are wearing almost enough to polish the sides and bottom of that wide groove also.  Seems to me you are giving up a lot (1/4 to 1/3) of your disc surface area that could be used effectively for braking.  Are you sure the squeaking is coming from the front?

• Like 2

I pulled rotors like that off my car, no issues with squeaks at the time.

Make sure the tabs with the arrows are crimped tight to the caliper. A large set of channel-locs work good here. There's a little step on the bottom of the pad for one of the jaws. This helps the pad from vibrating & causing the squeal. Hard to see from the pics if your pads have that tab, looks like standard D52 brakes though.

I usually use some type of spray on 'Disc Brake Quiet' stuff on the back of the pad too. Permatex, NAPA, etc, they all have it. 

20211107_132957.jpg

20211107_133259.jpg

• Like 3

Yea probably oe rotor they used to have that groove in them. A squeal is a pad vibration,  like Joe said make sure the pads are tight in the calipers and the clip on inner pad is tight. The ceramic pads I used on mine with the drilled and slotted rotors have shims on them too. Make sure everything is lubbed up good In The proper places.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input. You’ve given me lots of things to try out. I reassembled and had it out today. It was improved but could still hear it once in a while. I’ll pull it apart again and perform the suggestions you have provided.

• Like 1

Aaron, there is also a spray on coating of sorts. You spray it on the metal part of the pads, install the pads, bend the tabs tight as Joe stated. All should be good. It goes by many names but "disc brake quiet" I believe is one of them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bob 71 said:

hi aaron how is the clip on the back side of the inboard pad?

That clip seemed to hold pretty good on both sides.

With everything installed I pump the brakes, tap a screwdriver between the bottom of the pad and the rotor, where the rim seats. Then with a chisel I "whack" the tabs down till they are snug/tight on the caliper. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

. Then with a chisel I "whack" the tabs down till they are snug/tight on the caliper. 

That'll work too 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was gonna guess a seashell that got stuck between the rotor and pad caused that groove.

Put the caliper to your ear and if you hear a combination of the ocean and the highway, you’ll know you’ve found the culprit. 

Sorry, Aaron … I’m a few bourbons deep. 

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Yesterday I finally got around to pulling the calipers. I sanded the pads, sanded the rotors, bent the clip for the inner pad slightly so it holds the pad nice and tight, used disc brake quiet, bent the tabs on the outer pad so they are tight to the caliper and lubed up the caliper pins. I still have the squeak. For all the pads Ive changed over the past 25 years on multiple Montes I’ve never had this issue. I believe these pads are 15-20 years old if that makes a difference. The person that put these pads on used RTV where the pad meets the caliper likely to fix this squeak. I scraped all that off to see if that helped but didn’t make a difference. The sound certainly sounds like the front brakes but I’ll pull the drums off to inspect those just in case.

Meanwhile, when I cruise the beach… eeek, eeek, eeek, eeek, eeek…. LOL

My 12-year-old daughter was interested in what I was doing today. She learned how disc brakes work.

62851BC1-9EFD-4791-9254-4AA49161F967.jpeg

1AB91AA6-2433-4978-8044-BCFA5E27D8B4.jpeg

• Like 2

I've used this stuff in the past, but mostly when using all new parts. Supposed to help with the break-in/burnishing of the pads & shoes. NAPA used to have big cans of it, but last time I looked all I could find was smaller ones. May be worth a try, short of doing what Steve suggested.

20220612_124900.jpg

Based on the look of the rotor you’re not getting full pad contact. See the dark glazing near the hub. I know the groove is original to the rotor but clean that out really good and put a new set of pads on. Or sand it down. Also the rivits if worn will make the pad move ever so slightly, causing noise. 

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 5:52 PM, Scott S. said:

How's the grease in the bearings ??

I have not checked but I don’t believe that’s the issue. If I apply the brakes the squeak stops.