Brake squeak

Canuck

I think my next step will be to put on new pads and clean the rusty edges of the rotor. I leave for the Western Meet today so I will do it after I get back. I can’t wait for everyone to hear the squeaking when I roll into the club parking lot. 😎

48 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I have not checked but I don’t believe that’s the issue. If I apply the brakes the squeak stops.

I think the problem is inherent in the design of the old rotors… That ridge is probably causing the squeal… Age and wear doesn't work well with that design… Been there and done that…..  A new set of Bosch rotors and new pads will end the problem…  went to Bosch rotors years ago…They last longer and I've never had them warp.

Turning rotors never made sense to me… For a few bucks more I can have rotors that aren't prone to warpage after having them turned… Based on the age, I'd probably put new calipers on too.. 

Ed C

Stop overthinking. Change the pads from the OLD, dried out, glazed pads to new, fresh ones and enjoy the better stopping and NO noises. You know this Arron. Lolol. I certainly understand wanting the "originality" but I dont mess around with old, even NOS brake pads or shoes unless it's on a concourse restoration that does not get driven. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Stop overthinking. Change the pads from the OLD, dried out, glazed pads to new, fresh ones and enjoy the better stopping and NO noises. You know this Arron. Lolol. I certainly understand wanting the "originality" but I dont mess around with old, even NOS brake pads or shoes unless it's on a concourse restoration that does not get driven. 

Tom , I totally agree.

Given a choice of two cars…….

The last one I'd  take cross country would be the perfect  fifty year old car that is totally stock or original… 

I'd take the one with a few modern upgrades like ignition, brakes, fuel and maybe a few road chips

Ed C  

• 1 month later...

I had the pads out a few times trying everything above but still ended up with the squeak. In the end I think it came down to bad design of the pad. There are rivets on the back side of the pad so it doesn’t sit flush against the caliper. I installed new pads that are flat on the back and so far no squeaking but time will tell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Ya know another thing we used to do I grind the sharp front edge off the pad at about a 45 degree angle it seems to help sometimes.

The new pads I got already have the edges on an angle. Nice feature.

DD033256-6CEB-40EE-9A5E-0FE4E2EE5A84.jpeg

Something I learned from a brake manufacturer about chamfered edges. I asked why they started doing that. He says do you want the story we tell the public or the truth?  Truth is we chamfer to cut down the noise long enough to get the pad out of warranty, when the chamfer is worn down your right back to the normal flat pad. But people don’t worry about buying again a couple years down the road. I probably should not have asked. Lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Something I learned from a brake manufacturer about chamfered edges. I asked why they started doing that. He says do you want the story we tell the public or the truth?  Truth is we chamfer to cut down the noise long enough to get the pad out of warranty, when the chamfer is worn down your right back to the normal flat pad. But people don’t worry about buying again a couple years down the road. I probably should not have asked. Lol. 

There is a lot of truth to that, I worked in a brake shop for a bunch of years and was called a brake expert but in my opinion I was far from an expert but could do brakes with the best of them. Was also ASE certified in brakes and suspension but there's still lots I don't know.