How to authenticate MC is real 454SS

TXSteve33

First Welcome to the club Steve!!!!

Second check out the Resource section above and then go into Tech info. It will tell you what you need to know. The best way is a build sheet, and the engine and tranny should have a partial vin on them that matches your windshield vin. Should be a 454 engine and 400 tranny.  If you don't have a numbers matching engine or tranny there are other ways but lets start there.

Others with more knowledge than I hopefully will chime in to help.

Put your trim numbers up and we can let you know what it was born with.

Good Luck and can't wait to hear back from you!!!

The best way would be to fine the build sheet. A few things to look for is the air ride system was standard on a SS car. Some owners removed the compressor but the switch above the rear axle should be there. Any pictures?

• 1 month later...

The car I was hoping to authenticate didn’t pan out BUT I was after a big block 70 and I found one So now a new question Am I able to verify if my car is a factory 4 speed? I know it is not a real SS (it is badged as one) 

50537774-BD7D-49AA-B4E8-ACA1C7F5D6C0.jpeg

• Like 4

Check the numbers stamped on the transmission. Do they match your partial Vin? Date code within 6 months of your build date? Is there a bracket by the front control arm, driver's side with the clutch return spring attached to it? 

Of course the build sheet is a definite way. 

P.S. nice purchase! Tell us more about it and more pics!!! 

Welcome to the group. Great looking ride and I love the color. 

Like the others have chimed in, the build sheet is the ultimate authority on exactly what you have. Absent that, start compiling numbers from the motor, tranny, rear end, cowl tag etc and get to decipherin’. 

“Chevrolet By the Numbers” is damn near the Bible to authenticate every part of that drive train.  And Aaron has put together very helpful information which he’s provided links to above.

And you can always send pictures here and I’m sure you’ll get answers…tons of knowledge here  

Happy hunting